It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

mindy1974 HB User
Oh the itching! Its new!

hi ya'll
have to ask for some feed back. when my flare started 2 months ago i started to itch on and off all over. its a sharp itch almost feels like its under the skin. my blood work comferms i am in a flare. the doc said itchy skin is normal for us. lotion, and salt baths dont help. i'm not on meds so i'm not having a reaction. do you ever experience this/ what do you do?
thanks,
derlinda

Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Oh the itching! Its new!

Hiya derlinda,

I too have this type of itching. Sometimes it drives me scatty! Thing is though it might not een be associated with lupus, it is a condition that can affect anybody, even if they don't have an underlying illness. Some doctors just dismiss it out of hand, or say it is lupus related when in fact it can be something entirely different.

The name for this type of itchiness is pruritus. If you look into it you will see that it is a very common thing.

There can be a lot of causes for this condition, but some basic things do apply when treating it:-

When bathing or showering, use tepid or lukewarm water and use mild cleansers with low pH.

Rinse the soap off completely, pat your skin lightly, and immediately apply a moisturizing lotion or cream after bathing. Personally I would use a lotion, as cream can be a bith thick and gloopy and could be too sticky. Do make sure that the lotion is fragance free too.

Wear light, loose clothing when possible.

A cool working or home environment can help reduce the severity of itching. Your working space needs to be comfortable heat wise, not too hot espeically if you are seated for long periods.

If the itching turns nasty then maybe a cool oatmeal bath or topical drying agents such as calamine lotion might be helpful.

As I said though it might not be associated with lupus at all, but even if it is then these suggestions will not do you any harm nor will they have an adverse affect on your skin.

Take care,
goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-27-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
(female)

mindy1974 HB User
Re: Oh the itching! Its new!

Thanks GW!
the loss cloths will help, i wil try that. i try not to itch but somtimes i wake up and i have long deep scraches accross my tummy and on my shoulders, somtimes they bleed . i have noticed that if its a bit cold it gets alot worse.
thanks again miss!
derlinda

Closed Thread