It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2002, 12:04 AM   #1

kimmi HB User
Question ANA?

Can anyone let me know what their ANA count is? I don't have anyone to compare to. Mine is definately high 50:0. That was at least 4 years ago. Do you think I should have it repeated? My main complaint is fatigue. I do have a positive RH, and joint swelling, especially in my hands, and it moves around to other joints. I have been sore lately, usually if I'm not tired, I can deal with the pain, but last night I couldn't even get comfortable enough to sleep.
Kim

Old 10-27-2002, 10:59 AM   #2

Ceya HB User
Red face

Hi Kimmi,
Glad to see you. I am not sure about the ana testing and the #. I had the alot of your symptoms when I first got sick. The doctor gave me celebrex and then changed it to bextra for the joint pain and swelling. I has helped alot. He also gave me tranzodone to help me sleep. This really helps. I have forgotten to take this by accident and I had a terrible night. so unconfortable. I think just getting sleep more sound helps the fatigue. I hope this helps. Sorry to hear you are not better.
ceya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #3

Janrenann HB User
Kimmi,

I assume you have a rheumatologist? If not, you definetly need to get to one. I would think that at the very least, your Dr would put you on an immuno suppressant drug. your ANA # is considered a high reading.

Good luck

Old 10-30-2002, 11:04 PM   #4

kimmi HB User
Janrenan,
Yes, I do have a rheum. but I don't have a lot of faith in him. He does not want me to take prednisone. I have tried Plaq. and methatrexate, and the side affects of the drug were worse than the disease. I just don't know what to expect next since I'm pretty much not taking anything other than a mild anti-inflamitory and not on a regular basis. Thinking of going out of the area for 2nd opinion.
Kim

Old 10-31-2002, 01:56 PM   #5

SusanM HB User
You might want to read a little about ANA titers. I don't think the numbers you mentioned can be right because they don't make sense. ANA is usually positive when it is 1:40 and that is barely positive. The second number represents a dilution and doubles each time it goes up. So the next reading would be 1:80, then 1:160, then 1:320. Numbers of 40 or 80 are low positive, and often are not even clinically significant. Numbers of 160 or 320 are considered moderate positive. Numbers of 640 or higher are considered high. With SLE it is common to see numbers like in the thousands. If you do a search on ANA you can also read about patterns of staining which tells you more about what may be going on too. Susan

Old 10-31-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

Ann S HB User
Kimmi,
If you have a positive for Rheumatoid Arthritis, that will be causing all those same symptoms. They're all much like Lupus. Did you try all those meds at the same time? If so, try taking the plaquenil all alone. Most don't have problems with side effects from that one, but a lot seem to have problems with the other 2. It can take up to 6 months to work, but it helps most people some. Also, it's one of the drugs that are supposed to help stop the progression of the diseases.
I think you need a new Rheumy too. Most repeat the ANA at least once/yr. Good luck, Ann

Closed Thread