It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2002, 06:17 PM   #1

SusanM HB User
Post plaquenil

Would like to talk about plaquenil. I'm trying to take it for the second time. I first tried several months ago, and two weeks into it I noticed that I could not focus on things close up. I realize this is not a vision change that is associated with plaquenil, but it frightened me, and it seemed awfully coincidental. My regular MD thinks it's vision change due to my age (40), and that my noticing it two weeks into a plaquenil trial was a coincidence. My optometrist thought my eyes looked ok, and I'm seeing an opthamologist tomorrow. I had a rheumy appt last week, and he said there is nothing about plaquenil that would cause an acute vision change like this. I started taking it again a few days ago, because I think I really need to give it a try, but I feel really paranoid about it. I tend to worry about meds anyway, but the vision thing is especially scary to me. It is also making my stomach queasy. Does that wear off? Any comments about plaquenil would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:12 AM   #2

writingmyway HB User
Thumbs up

I give Plaquenil two thumbs up for me! A year ago, I could hardly walk, my legs hurt so bad. I am 33 and I felt 80! It took about 4 months for the full effect, the first few weeks i did get the queasy feelings but it got better. Now I don't know what I would do without this medicine. Now I can feel my age again! I have SLE with CNS involvement too. But I would say, give it a good try! Don't give up on it, it may take awhile, but for me it was so well worth it! Especially for the joint and muscle pain! Good luck!!!!
Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Susan -
I've been on it about a year. Can't say I've noticed any improvement - actually my disease has progressed significantly in the past year. My Rheumy says I would be a lot worse if I weren't taking it. The upset tummy goes away with time -

Old 07-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #4
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Plaquenil can affect the eyes. You are supposed to
have an eye exam before you go on it and then have
followup checkups the whole time you are on it.
Look the drug up on the net to learn more.

------------------

Old 07-18-2002, 08:50 AM   #5

SusanM HB User
Thanks for the replies. I had my eyes dialated yesterday and was told that they look fine. I'm going to continue to try the plaquenil, and hope the upset stomach wears off soon. susan

Old 07-24-2002, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Lightbulb

Susan -
When you start it, ask your doc if it's ok if you step up dosage slowly since the upset tummy was a problem before - made it a lot easier on some other meds I was on.

Keep us posted - and good luck.

Old 08-19-2002, 01:20 PM   #7

Nirvana HB User
Smile

I've used Plaquenil for three years now. Yes, there is blurring of vision. My eyes are checked every six months by an eye doctor. He says there is no reason for the blurry vision but, it is present. I now take the meds at night before going to bed and this seems to eliminate a lot of the daytime blurring.
When I first began taking the med my only problem was itching which stops after awhile.
It took eight months for the med to work. I tolerate sun better, muscle spasms lessened, rash cleared up and suffer less fatigue. Once I stoped taking the meds because I was fed up, four days later I could barely sit up.
Everyones experience will be different. All the best to you !

Old 09-23-2002, 02:53 PM   #8

Ceya HB User
I just posted a question in regards to vision. Similar to your experience. However, I could not see upclose and later had it clear up before I was prescribed that medication. I have been tring to find out if this changing vision has anything to do with lupus. Hope this helps.

------------------

Old 09-26-2002, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

Kathryn HB User
I've heard lots of good things about plaquenil. I'm sorry it has not helped you. Do you think it may be because you are using it in combination of other meds. I'm not sure if that is possible, just thinking out loud.

I'll be starting on plaquenil in about 2 months just about the time my prednisone is wearing low and at my 6th cytoxan treatment.

Good Luck
among the STARS!!!

Old 10-11-2002, 10:17 PM   #10

kimmi HB User
I took Plaq. for a year and it didn't seem to help me at all. But...My eyes are still not at all what they used to be. I wake up with puffy, red eyes, don't think it was the Plaq. though, just age (48) and eye strain from being on the computer to much! It could also be because of high blood pressure and I also need to get a fasting glucose. As far as Plaq messing your eyes up....it's a chance in a million.
Kim

Old 11-01-2002, 11:20 AM   #11

Hagg HB User
I was initially frustrated with the Plaquenil because it took SIX MONTHS before I noticed any improvement. But, I'm so glad I didn't give up. Not including the short time it took for my stomach to get used to the medication, I haven't had any side effects. My flares are a fraction of what they were and it is the ONLY thing that has made a dent in the constant fatigue.

Give it time and don't give up.

Old 11-11-2002, 04:50 PM   #12

tonzie HB User
I tried Plaquinil for a year. I do remember that I had to have my eyes checked before taking it tho...I just couldn't take it because it made me so sick...I mean really sick. I tried to take it after eating, before eating and during eating.....Nothing worked and it made me so sick that we finally gave up on it. I feel like I gave it a fair chance too. Good luck to you and I hope your nausea goes away soon.

Closed Thread