It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2002, 09:42 AM   #1

ULUAVE HB User
Exclamation What are the latest treatments for Lupus?

Just looking for the latest treatments in Lupus. I'm new to this website and figured I'd get a second opinion from the rest of you as to whether these over the counter products work. I was looking into Moducare which is a type of Sterol and Sterolin. The second was colostrum and the third one I was looking to take was Aloevera MPS which is supposed to help my immune system. Please if any of you are using any type of medication to help ease aching joints let me know.
Thanks,
Mr. Uluave

Old 11-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #2

Janrenann HB User
Hello,

The items you've mentioned aren't medications that most traditional Dr's will recommend or support. They are considered alternative treatments..and haven't received the extensive testing (for safety and effectiveness)that traditional drugs receive. Talk to your Dr. BEFORE starting any of these formulas

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2002, 04:46 PM   #3

snowman HB User
I have had lupus for over 28 years and have taken just about everything. Was near death constantly the first 15 yrs. After 15 years, the disease was under control. I did very well on steroids, NAIDS and Plaquenil but had to stop Plaquenil due to eye complications. Switched to methotrexate 1 1/2 yrs. ago but had to up steroids. I have had numerous infections and have to stop metho. Today I went to the dr. (mind you this is a rheumatologist)prescribed DHEA (over the counter) Said he was convinced by the studies he had been reading that this was something that was very promising and I would be a good candidate. If I get cured, I'll let everyone know!!! (ha ha ha)

Old 11-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

Ann S HB User
What is DHEA? Do you know anything about the studies he is referring to? Thanks, Ann

Old 11-23-2002, 07:14 AM   #5

Janrenann HB User
Be sure and have your DHEA levels checked to ensure they are in fact low BEFORE you start taking it. It is a powerful hormone, and if your levels aren't low, and you start taking it... to much DHEA can increase your risk of developing breast & ovarian cancer, this is because DHEA is a precursor of estrogen. There are several reports attesting to the potential of DHEA in improving sexual function, building muscle mass,reducing the incidence of arteriosclerosis, cancer and autoimmune disorders..it appears people affected with these conditions have lower levels of DHEA than healthy people.

One other thing, if your DHEA is truly low... be sure your doctor prescribes the correct dosage..you don't want too much DHEA in your system.

------------------

Closed Thread