It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2002, 07:35 PM   #1

melissa123 HB User
Question Positive Ana

I had a positive ANA of 1:160 with a homogenous pattern. Well I was sent to a rheumatologist and she said that since I dont have a major organ involved she doesnt think it is lupus. Well my joints and muscles are killing me and my hair is falling out(not in clumps but enough to notice) plus I have sever fatigue. Ok now for my guestion, can you have lupus that doesnt effect your kidneys and lungs and such plus not have a rash?? The sun and bright light kills my eyes and gives me a headache, plus I just ache all over. What do you all think...honestly, do I stick with this rheumy or find a new one? She did take 9 vials of blood and 10 xrays. HELP

Old 11-18-2002, 02:41 PM   #2

Janrenann HB User
Hello,
You may still indeed have Lupus... just because you show no sign of organ involvement to date, does not mean you don't have it. All of your other symptoms could be Lupus related, or related to another auto immune disease. It could take years for organ involvement to occur... or perhaps it won't.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2002, 03:41 PM   #3

melissa123 HB User
Thank you very much for responding!! Should I get another dr??

Old 11-19-2002, 09:55 PM   #4

Nirvana HB User
Run don't walk to another Rheumie. Your Doctor does not know Lupus. The symptoms you mentioned are classic of lupus. After a four year acute flare everyone of those symptoms were present. The sooner the symptoms are addressed the better off you will be, less damage due to the inflammation.
Check the symptoms page for Lupus federation of America.
Don't be afraid to interview your Rheumie before committing to being his patient.
My ANA was 1:1280 last week I tested at 1:80.
Blessings to you and yours.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:31 AM   #5

melissa123 HB User
Thank you very much for your reply. I just have this gut feeling there is something wrong with me(the Lupus I guess). I am only 27yrs old and feel like I am 72 instead. Now I know its not "normal" for a person my age to get worn out doing the dishes or hurt so bad they have to stop and sit down, then start again. That just isnt normal, or to be fixing my hair and have my elbows and shoulders hurt so bad I have to stop. I will find me a new Rheumie, thank you for responding to me!!!

Melissa

Old 11-20-2002, 10:19 AM   #6
Inactive

Denise F HB User
I second the motion to find a new Dr. I never heard
of a Dr. who would say you don't have Lupus because
there is no major organ involvement. A large portion
of Lupus patients have no organ involvement in fact
it may be the majority. I have had lupus for six years
with no organ involvement and hope to stay that way.
While you are finding a new Dr. check out Dr Weil's
site for his suggestions about how to change your diet
and what vit. and herbs are helpful for people with Lupus. His suggestions have helped me stay as healthy as
possible.

------------------

Old 11-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #7

melissa123 HB User
Thank you Denise!! I will check that site out. The rheumatologist I saw, well lets just say I wont be seeing her again. I knew I wasnt crazy!!!! Thanks for replying to me!!

Melissa

Old 11-25-2002, 12:49 PM   #8

SusanM HB User
Like one writer posted, your problem could be due to something other than lupus. For example hypothyroidism can cause the symptoms and ana reading you describe. It's not necessarily lupus, but could be. Keep an open mind and good luck. Susan

Old 11-27-2002, 08:59 AM   #9

maureen222 HB User
I had positive ANA of 1.320 and raised ESR and at first it was thought that I had lupus. I have since been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - my hair was thinning and joint and muscle pain along with fatigue are troublesome.

Closed Thread