It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2002, 06:57 PM   #1

kim simone HB User
Question ANA question???

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone knows of the coorilation between ANA and Lupus? I am pretty sure my doctors knew I had a high ANA ratio back when I was 10 (my records have been lost) But, I remember them testing me for thyroid disorders, and arthritis. They found me to have hashimoto's thyroiditis back then. Recently I began having what appear to be autoimmune type symptoms, however nothing too serious. Twitching, tingling, wierd shooting pains (not so much any more, but pretty bad for a month or two) I went on anti-depressants, and most sypmtoms have stopped. ( still a little twitching each day) I feel pretty good most of the time.

My question is, if my ANA levels were up 30 years ago, do they continue to go up, and can I expect to develop more serious problems such as Lupus, or is it possible that it is still just hashi's? ) ANA ratio is now 1:640)

Any knowledge is appreciated.

Kim

Old 12-29-2002, 01:33 AM   #2

sleepthief HB User
Cool

Hi

I'm no expert but I can deploy some of my knowledge about Lupus since I was diagnosed with it a few years ago.
Anti Nuclear Antibodies can be present in a number of diseases (auto immune) which includes Lupus. But they can also be present in your blood and you can be perfectly fine (no apparent disease). A Lupus patient would usually present with other clinical symptoms like severe joint pain, kidney problems, skin rash problems, etc, and then have a blood test to test for ANA to confirm the Lupus. Other blood tests to confirm Lupus are called "Blood Complement" tests which test the levels of blood complement proteins in the blood.
Seeing that your ANA levels suggest some activity is going on I suggest that you get referred to a rheumatologist to investigate this further. You may or may not have Lupus, but it is worth getting checked out. Lupus can grumble along all your life without any major health concerns, or it can also turn nasty.
Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2002, 04:12 PM   #3

kim simone HB User
Wink

Thanks SleepThief!

I have an appointment in 2 weeks!

Hope you are doing well!

Kim

Closed Thread