It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 PM   #1

kimmi HB User
Question ANA vs Mononusleosis vs Lupus

I was wondering how many people have previously had mono as teenager or whenever? Isn't mono in the same family? I'm 48 now, had mono when I was 17 and SWEAR I have never been the same since the mono. Also, could everyone let me know what their ANA is? I'm thinking I should have it done again. My cousin was tested and her Dr told her it was high at 8. Mine is 50.0! I don't have a lot of confidence in my Rheum. because he didn't seem too alarmed, never repeated it or brings it up and this was in 1998!
Kim

The following user gives a hug of support to kimmi:
jenm1998 (12-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to kimmi For This Useful Post:
jenm1998 (12-27-2011)
Old 10-23-2002, 06:06 AM   #2

Ceya HB User
Hi Kim,
You know I had a terrible case of mono when I was a teenager and I have always said that I was never the same after it. I had liver problems swollen speel. Before I had mono I was problably almost hyper. I had so much energy extremely active and after the illness I have never had the energy I had.
My daughter had mono last year. She appears sick off and on. She has been complaining of burning sensations on her skin. I wonder if she could have lupus or something. I have taken them to the peditrician, and they don't find anything. I am going to make her an appointment. Although she really does't take care of herself like she should you know teenagers. hope this helps.
Ceya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2002, 11:06 AM   #3

Hagg HB User
Hi Kimmi,

I had mono when I was 14 years old and within
months I started having joint pain, strange
rashes, and debilitating fatigue. Although my ANA test was positive even back then, most of the doctors classified my illness as something like "lupus-like" or "nonspecific autoimmune disease". My symptoms would come and go for years.

Since I had my baby (two years ago - I'm 32 now)
my symptoms have become MUCH worse. Last month, my
ANA count was 1:640 and I had a positive result on the
anti-DNA antibody test (still not sure what this
means). Now my Rheumy agrees I have lupus.

I always thought that my first little flare was brought
on by the mono. Now I think that anything that provokes my immune system or causes my body hardship
is likely to spark a lupus flare up.

Try to take it easy!

Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
Inactive

renae HB User
Hi Kimmi--I too had mono as a teenager and in college. Yes, I've had it more than once. And right before I was dx with lupus almost 2 years ago they thought it was mono. As a matter of fact, my mono test came back postitive.

There is some controversy and some theories floating around regarding mono and lupus. Once school of thought is that lupus will cause a false-positive mono test. So did we all really have mono when we were younger or were those signs of lupus?? Then there is the theory that I did in fact have mono and the mono virus is what triggered active lupus. I think it will be awhile before anyone knows anything for sure but there are so many people with mono in their background that eventually end up with a lupus dx.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
Inactive

renae HB User
Oh, by the way, my ANA is 1:1680. My doctors call this "sky high"

Old 12-30-2002, 04:48 PM   #6

jsinfla HB User
I find this all very interesting. I was dx with Lupus very early but had "Mono" much later. I developed encephalitis with the mono. Today I was told my a neurologist that the mon spot test could have been false postivie and the encephalitis was caused by Lupus and not Mono. I also have a sky high ANA 1:2580! I have been on Imuran to try and bring this under control.

Closed Thread