It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 09:01 PM   #1

Batzion HB User
Unhappy Generational Curse?

Hi everyone,
Looking for moral support here I guess. Had some severe shoulder joint pain (so bad I went to the emergency room). Thought I tore something and then it was gone in a week. This was followed by inflammation of the right wrist so severe, I was unable to move two fingers, again, gone in a week.

Doctor ordered blood tests (ANA 1:640 homogenous). Not many other symptoms except painful, swollen joints. Doc believes this to be Lupus. Taking Celebrex (gives me indigestion) and Darvocet as needed.

The scary part for me is that my maternal grandfather had rheumatoid arthritis w/Raynauds and died from complications. My mother had fully involved CREST w/severe scleroderma and passed from the pulmonary hypertension and heart enlargement issues. Is this the reality I'm facing? I'm 41 years old, being diagnosed a little sooner than my ancestor's.

Secondly, I'm concerned about my job. I'm an engineer and do a lot of software and hardware computer stuff. I can't carry more than about 30lbs anymore and opening up a computer and pulling components and putting them back in with worsening hand strength is definitely slowing me down. Do I whine to the Doc about this, keep a record, or what?

Sorry, I probably sound like a whiny baby. Kinda wish my mom were around, ya know? Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any advice, opinions or encouragement.

------------------
Batzion

Old 01-03-2003, 11:53 PM   #2

MAN WITH LUPUS HB User
I HERE YOU AND YES WE DO HAVE TO SUPPORT ON ANOTHER I KNOW ITS HARD TO DEEL WITH PAIN JUST REMEMBER ONE THING YOU CAN'T HIDE ITOR IGNORE IT SO DON'T LETANY ONE TELL YOU SAY OTHER WISE. PAIN HURTS AND IT SUCKS. WE JUST HAVE TO BE STRONG AND TUFF IT OUT. TALK TO YOUR DR. ABOUT A PAIN TENSE UNIT I HAVE ONE ITS A PORABLE SHOCK DEVICE FOR PAIN ITS WONDERFUL.

AND AS FOR YOUR JOB IT DEPENDS HOW TUFF YOU ARE I MY SELF HAVE HAD LUPUS SLE FOR 5 YRS I HAVE A B.S DEGREE IN TELECOMM MGMT I WORKED FOR SPRINT IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR 6 YEARS I HAD TO LEAVE WORK 2 TIMES ON SHORT TERM DISB. NOW IM OUT FOR GOOD I AM ON SSI DISB. FOR EVER I DIDN'T GIVE UP ITS JUST THE RELAPSES KICKED MY BUT TO MANY TIMES I WORRIED ALL THE TIME THATS TO MUCH STRESS AND THATS ONE OF THE CAUSES OF LUPUS.

MY JOB WAS STRESSFULL ANY WAY I WAS A SENIOR TECH. I WAS INCARGE OF THE SAN FRANCISCO MEGA POP FOR THE WEST COAST. PLUS HALF TH BAY AREA CITIES AROUND SAN FRAN. I DID NOT WANT TO GIVE IN BUT IT WAS MY JOB OR MY LIFE.

I'M ONLY 27 THERE IS NOT A DAY THAT GOES BY I DON'T THINK ABOUT WHAT I HAD BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

IN ABOUT ANOTHER YEAR I' GOING BACK TOO SCHOOL FOR MY MASTER IN BUSINESS. WELL GOOD LUCK I'M HERE IF YOU WANT TO VENT.

SAL
Quote:
Originally posted by Batzion:
Hi everyone,
Looking for moral support here I guess. Had some severe shoulder joint pain (so bad I went to the emergency room). Thought I tore something and then it was gone in a week. This was followed by inflammation of the right wrist so severe, I was unable to move two fingers, again, gone in a week.

Doctor ordered blood tests (ANA 1:640 homogenous). Not many other symptoms except painful, swollen joints. Doc believes this to be Lupus. Taking Celebrex (gives me indigestion) and Darvocet as needed.

The scary part for me is that my maternal grandfather had rheumatoid arthritis w/Raynauds and died from complications. My mother had fully involved CREST w/severe scleroderma and passed from the pulmonary hypertension and heart enlargement issues. Is this the reality I'm facing? I'm 41 years old, being diagnosed a little sooner than my ancestor's.

Secondly, I'm concerned about my job. I'm an engineer and do a lot of software and hardware computer stuff. I can't carry more than about 30lbs anymore and opening up a computer and pulling components and putting them back in with worsening hand strength is definitely slowing me down. Do I whine to the Doc about this, keep a record, or what?

Sorry, I probably sound like a whiny baby. Kinda wish my mom were around, ya know? Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any advice, opinions or encouragement.

------------------
SAL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive

Denise F HB User
It is kind of the pits, isn't it. Autoimmune runs in
my family too. The only good thing is there are
better treatment options now than for your relatives
and hopefully newer treatments comming.
I would definitely keep track of your symptoms. They
might wind-up pointing to a different diagnoses. Lupus
mimic's alot of other diseases.
At one time my hands would give out on me too. Of
course always seemed to give way on something like
taking a hot pan out of the oven!!!!! I once dropped
a pizza and it landed face down on my oven door!!!!!!
Fun stuff like that. I am having very few symptoms
now. Almost, normal. You just have to try to keep
your spirits up and not worry too much.
Take care.

------------------

Closed Thread