It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2002, 09:01 PM   #1

Friends HB User
Talking ALTERNATIVE MEDS/VITAMINS/HERBS

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE ON ALTERNATIVE MEDS/VITAMINS/HERBS TO HELP WITH LUPUS SYMPTOMS?THANKS!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Check out Dr Weil. He has books out.
His suggestions helped me a lot.

------------------

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 12-04-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
B_1958

Also vitamin C, a diet low in red meat and fats, but high in fruit, vegetables, and whole grains, skim milk, and exercise with warm water. There are lots of different things I do to manage different symptoms. Alfalfa sprouts and eccinacea (I never feel like I have that word spelled correctly) and some other foods like hard cheese tend to be triggers that will bring about a flare for me. Also I find stress busters like old comedies (I Love Lucy, Candid Camera) really bring out the laughter. And a merry heart doeth good like a medicine.

Hope this helps you out some.

Discussion of using illegal substances is prohibited on this website, except in overcoming an addiction, on the Addiction and Recovery Board.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 12-04-2002).]

Old 12-11-2002, 04:09 PM   #4

RedOnTheHead HB User
I have been taking this stuff called IP-6 with Cell Forte. It's an immune booster developed by a doctor and I love it. I've been diagnosed since 1998 and taking this stuff since about 2000. I've been in full blown remission now for a little over a year. The last time my ANA titer was done (about 2 months ago) it was 1:80. My doctors know that I do not take any Lupus meds and the only thing I take is the IP-6. I love it. I'm out right now and I've been out for about 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel the effects of not being on it, such as being sore, tired...minor stuff. If you do a search on the internet you can read more about the IP-6. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
Inactive

Cyrus HB User
You must be very careful when taking herbal remdies. It is always best to check with the Doc. They can be very powerful and have not been tested properly for people with Lupus.
I believe that immune boosting remedies are contraindicated for patients with autoimmunne disease as the whole point of taking immune suppressants is to supress the immune system not boost it. We want to dampen down our immune systems in order to prevent a flare up.

Rach

Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 PM   #6

RedOnTheHead HB User
I have to disagree with Cyress on supressing my immune system. Lupus is never the same in any 2 patients. You can never say what works or doesn't work for you will be the same for someone else. I haven't taken the immune suppresent drugs since 1998 and have been in long remission periods 3 times! That's more than some people can say that have taken the suppresent drugs for years. Actions that my body show speak a lot louder than a doctors words. The doctors that tell you what to do with your own body have never been in your or my situation. All my doctors are aware that I do not take the Plaquenil and for the most part are ok with it b/c my blood work proves that the regimen I use is working. My rheumy is not particularly pleased that I do not take the Plaquenil but he's having a really hard time convincing me that what is already working is worth getting off of to try something that may or may not work and will probably take 3-6 months before I notice if it's working! WHATEVER! Doctors cannot argue with proof. Like I said, what works for me might not work for you or anyone for that fact. Everyone has to make their own educated decision.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:25 PM   #7

mal o'nine HB User
Hi there RedOnTheHead, I was wondering if you could tell me more about IP-6. How do you think it works to help control your symptoms? (What are your recurring symptoms?). I find IP6 on the web, but very little in the way of how it affects lupus. Sorry for all the questions, but most of this is very new to me.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #8

MAN WITH LUPUS HB User
You are so right Cyrus But they will soon learn this Lupus is Lupus it can not be cured only supressed.

Sal

take care
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrus:
You must be very careful when taking herbal remdies. It is always best to check with the Doc. They can be very powerful and have not been tested properly for people with Lupus.
I believe that immune boosting remedies are contraindicated for patients with autoimmunne disease as the whole point of taking immune suppressants is to supress the immune system not boost it. We want to dampen down our immune systems in order to prevent a flare up.

Rach

Old 02-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #9
Inactive

Denise F HB User
No need to take any Lupus meds if you can live with
any of your symptoms. Alot of Dr's will agree with
that. Whether your particlar herb is helping who
knows? Lupus can come and go for no particular reason.
Sometimes just the action of taking something you feel
helps is enough. The mind is a powerful thing.
Good luck to you.

------------------

Closed Thread