It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 11:23 PM   #1

MAN WITH LUPUS HB User
Post DOES ANY ONE OUT THERE USE PREDNISON BESIDES ME " DO KNOW IT CAN BECOME DANGERIOUS"

WHAT DO YOU USE I KNOW PREDNISON CAN CAUSE DIEBETS OVER TIME. EVERY TIME I RELAPS IT TAKES PREDNISONE TO GET ME BACK ON MY FEET. PLEASE COMMENT

I WISH I NEVER HAD TOO DEEL WITH STUFF O-WELL IF YOU CAN'T BEET - IT HELP OTHERS TOO DEEL WITH IT I GUESS

SAL

------------------
SAL

Old 01-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #2

Ceya HB User
Wink

Hi Dav,
I recently have been suffering from a bad flare. The rhem called in predizone. I finished on Monday. Still flare. I saw him on Thursday, we agreeded that due to the side affects we would try and avoid it if I can. He told me to try DHEA it is over the counter and comes only in 25 mg. tablets, so I have to take 200mg as prescribed which is 8 tables. I go back in Feb. You may want to ask your Doctor?
Ceya
I hope your flare goes away soon. They are not fun
Do you know if during a flare, does it matter if you rest or plug along? Do we get damage during flares?
This is new to me.
Ceya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2003, 08:08 AM   #3

Lovelylockss HB User
Hi!--well about the steriods : yes they have many down sides -they (steriods) are what saved me--I was on Medrol which is a strong steriod for 4 straight years--never stopped them-in the last 2 years i have taken dose packs after being weened off them over a 6 to 8 month period-I am only 28 and last year DXed with glucomma (eye disease) -which from my research can be caused w/high long term doses of steriods-it sounds to me you guys are doing dose packs -where you take 8 pills then 7 and so on -to get the flare under control-so the side effects can be mild-but then again everyone reacts differently to meds--Ceya-I can't say if pushing during a flare is good or bad-your body can only do so much-I myself usually feel better after starting a dose pack-but not always and sometimes i feel so tired that even if i wanted to i couldn't go -do you feel so tired sometimes that just walking to the kitchen is a chore?--I do--well I hope you both get to feeling better -and if you need anything just holler--Lovelylockss

Old 02-03-2003, 04:18 AM   #4

annika.64 HB User
Hi everyone. I have first hand experience with long term prednisone treatment - since 1988. This has also included massive pulse steroid treatments - all to no avail at the time, I'm sad to say. Anyway, I also have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (due to Lupus) and am on Epilim. Add that drug, the steroids and the disease itself and you have big problems. If I knew 15 years ago when I was 23, how bad I would be today, I would have put my foot down about it. I have very severe osteoporosis.
Please, be very careful with going up and down with doses. I am at a stable level of 8mg/day and cannot get any lower. I put it up once and brought it back down and my rheumatologist said it's not good 'cos the body doesn't like it.
And, like everyone says, all of us are different, but it is great to share our experiences. I'm sitting here tonight with another broken bone in my foot and I curse the day I needed Prednisone! But, it did save my life...
All the best

------------------
annie kay

Old 02-03-2003, 07:19 AM   #5

shasha HB User
hi annie kay,

just wanted to say im sorry for all youve been through and what you are going through, but as i am pretty new to all this i appreciated you sharing this info.

have a great day!!
sha,

Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 PM   #6

coldfeet HB User
Exclamation

Hi, I'm new here. I just started on Prednisone 20mg on 1-31-03 for Raynauds. It's been a great help. I have a 2 month rx. What's bad about it for long term use. My rheumi never mentioned bad side effects. I also take Procardia XL 30mg.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
Inactive

Denise F HB User
My Mom was on predisone twice short term and it affected
her bones. So, I would hate to think what it will do
long term. She is on medication now that is suppose to draw calcium out of the blood and build the bones back up. Maybe this would be something you could ask the Dr. about? Maybe, it could be taken along with the pred.
or after to help to bones. I don't know just an idea?

------------------

Closed Thread