It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2002, 09:58 AM   #1

Hagg HB User
Question Lupus Flares and Yeast Infections

Hi -
I am wondering if anyone knows what (if any) connection there is between Lupus and hormones.

I'm having a Lupus flare and haven't menstruated since September. I have also suffered yeast infections that reapper as soon as 36 hours after they have been treated with prescription anti-fungal meds. I'm definitly not pregnant and I'm not on antibiotics.

I'm seeing my Rheumy next week but can't get in to
my GYN until January. Has anyone experienced these symptoms that seem to be in conjunction with a flare?
(I try not to blame everything on the Lupus but it seems a wierd coincidence.)

Thanks everybody - I'm so glad I found this board. It's been so lonely and strange having this disease. It's nice to have a place to go where everyone understands.

Have a great holiday!
Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2002, 09:32 PM   #2

kookyinsomniac HB User
hello hagg, i am very new here too. i don't have an answer for you but i am currently getting tested for lupus and have frequent yeast infections but you have been the first to mention wondering if there were any connection...i too am wondering but know vry little about it. anyway, if you get any answers i would sure be interested. of course then again i would also like to know for sure if i do or don't have lupus. not much help but hope you find someone who can.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 12-04-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2002, 09:26 AM   #3

angela12ca HB User
Hi Girls,

I have sle and do have chronic yeast infections. THere is another criteria for helping with dx of sle for clts that have negative blood work and the doctor that established this criteria found certain characteristics in people with this disease before onset of abnormal blood work and one of them listed was problems with chronic yeast infection. My gyne prescribe terazol vag cream daily X14 days and was then to go on oral diflucan for a month.
Well because of allergies i was only able to use the cream and not the oral diflucan and guess what... well I never had a yeast infection again in over a year and no other product has worked before.. So i suggest trying this.
Angela12ca

Old 12-04-2002, 08:39 AM   #4

Ceya HB User
Cool

Hi everyone. I am also new. I can't tell the diffence between flares, real sickness, or symptoms. Everything seems so vague. I to have suffered yeast infections most of my life. Even pelvic immflimation, looking back I think I have had Lupus symtoms like this and others, but never thought much about it. Plus, the gyn. didn't nor did my family doctor when I have flue like symptoms it was always virul and the fatigue was stress or virul..ect. it wasn't until my joints were swellling and time was not getting it any better.
The tri. something from the doctor Gyn. has helped me alot when I have them and also the duflican(SP) along with it helps. He also recommended that I get a douch bag and use 1 table spoon of cider viniger to water and douche this helps to keep your ph balance so yeast can't grow...Good luck.
Ceya

Old 12-27-2002, 06:59 PM   #5

Criktor HB User
hi, I'm new here. I was diagnosed w/ lupus about a year and a half ago. The diagnosis helped me in giving reasons to some things my body had been doing. My Rheumatologist, Family practitioner, and gyn all have told me that my chronic yeast infections that I have had for the past 4 years, have nothing to do with the lupus. I'm still not sure on that. It seems like too much of a coincidence. I'm relieved to find out that other people are wondering just as I have.
Kate

Old 12-27-2002, 09:43 PM   #6

FaithMerciful HB User
Hey.... that happened to me in the beginning.. and even recently as well.. when I was first diagnosed... and things were getting really bad, my period stopped for about 5 months...
and once my body got a little regualr again, before i got my period again, i had the worse yeast infection, because of some of the med's they were giving me...
it's also cause of the anti-biotics that we have to take... cause we can't really take some of the regular one's...

Just talk to your doc about some of the symtoms of the med's... cause they can cause them and because they are causing them, it's usually not that serious.

------------------
pieces and mices,
~FaithMerciful~

Old 01-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #7

Bonnie50 HB User
Hi
I'm new to site as well and found your question interesting. Although I haven not been officially dx with Lupus, the rheumy is treating me as I have so many symptoms and my ANA test was high. I also have Raynaud's which he put me on meds for as well and Feldene (sp) for pain in joints. When this all began last year, my periods stopped. When I went to my GYN he didn't really answer me about Lupus/missed periods/hormones. He did put me on Aygestin 5mg that I have to take the 1st 12 days of each month and then by the 15th I should have one. So far in the past 6 months I've only had 2. I have not had any yeast infections but have had bladder infections.
I'm glad I found this site.
Bonnie50

Old 02-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #8

Careyanne HB User
I'm another "lupie" with a looooong history of yeast infections.

I've been keeping mine under control with acidophilus/bifidus capsules & avoiding ALL yeast-promoting foods/drinks including yeast breads like bagels, pastries, pizza dough =( & vinegar foods like pickles & salad dressings & alcohol, etc.

I drink only water & diluted fruit juices.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Careyanne (edited 02-08-2003).]

Old 02-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Yup. I'm a Lupie with yeast infections. I have to be
careful and not wear tight jeans any more esp. in
hot weather. The heat and non circulating air makes
it easy for the yeast to grow. Also, if I have to take
antibiotics my Dr. has me take something for yeast
infections as a preventative.
I think that Lupie's just get any kind of infection
easier than most people. I also have had bladder
infections too. The part about hormones, there are questions as to whether we might have low DHEA and
there have been studies showing good results for
mild Lupus patients taking the hormone DHEA.

------------------

Closed Thread