It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #1

shasha HB User
Post flouresant lights

I was wondering if everyone with lupus has a bad reaction towards flouresant lights or just some. I definetly do. To share an experience with you. I went to my 10 yr. old sons chess tournament at the school gym the other evening. We were there for about 30mins when I started feeling extra achey and stiff. My face felt very hot. Standing up and walking out of there with all those people was miserable. I was so glad to get home. I looked in the mirror because my face felt so hot and sure enough it was bright red with the redness across my nose and over my cheeks, I also get it on my chin. For the last about 3mo Ive had the rash (its also on my hands) but I just never saw it so red.

Anyway let me know if it does the same for you.
Thanks
Sha

Old 01-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #2

sandy b HB User
Hi Shasha,

When I used to work, my desk was right under the brightest lights in the office and by the end of the day I would be in the bathroom with wet paper towels on my face. I don't know about you, but I hate wearing sunscreen. It's supposed to help, but I always feel like I can't breathe with all my pores covered up.LOL I also hate going into Longs Drug Store because they seem to have the brightest lights.
I get autoimmune hepatitis alot and the doctor said to only go out at night. You might want to try carrying sunscreen in your purse just incase. Sandy B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 08:01 AM   #3

shasha HB User
Smile

Hi Sandy,
Thank you for the advice I didnt realize sunscreen would help for flouesant lights. I will try it.

Have a great day!
Sha

Old 02-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #4

Careyanne HB User
Yes, fluorescent lighting (uncovered) makes me feel weak, exhausted, achey, headachey, tingly all over & I turn red like from a sunburn. It's UV radiation & the same reason why lupies should avoid tanning beds besides the sun.

I now keep a cap or hat handy for going into stores like WalMart who have uncovered UV lighting.

My doctor also warned me against halogen lighting. It also produces UV radiation.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:37 PM   #5

shasha HB User
hi careyanne,
thats a great idea to bring a cap to places with flouresant lights. i have noticed even when i go to my gp doc there lights have those covers on them, but it still brings out my rash and makes me very weak and achey.
sha

Old 02-16-2003, 10:00 AM   #6

tammy26t HB User
Wink

hello,i used to hurt like that,but my doc put me on plaquenil. it is like a miracle drug. i can sit in my office with lights on. i used to have to sit in the dark. i could not even go to a resturant without being in pain. i still wear sun block but it does not hurt so bad anymore. i was diagnosed 2 years ago. and 1 year ago i started plaquenil. it really works. so good luck with everything.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #7

shasha HB User
hi tammy,

thanks for your response. i am now on plaqunil and imuran. i have only been on it for a wk. so hopefully in time it will help.
thanks again
sha

Old 03-11-2003, 01:10 AM   #8

nice jelly bean HB User
I have similar lupus skin condition and feel really tormented. It's scally and
no one talks to me since they are afraid I might be
contagious. My doctor has started me on plaquenil (2
tablets daily) which is the safest drug to use. But
its torturing because the drug takes ages to show
signs of any improvement. I'm just afraid after
taking this drug for the next 3 months it does not
work , and I'm back to square one. My question is whether your skin improved after taking plaquenil and how long did you have to take this drug b4 showing signs of improvement?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Closed Thread