It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2002, 05:21 AM   #1

shinegirl HB User
Question Pancreitis,Gallstones,Surgery?

Has anyone here ever had pancreitis linked to their Lupus? I have developed it and the Doctors say it is due to the Lupus. May I ask what you did for it?

Did they remove your gallbladder? They are going to be removing mine and I was wondering if anyone else had this done and how it went?

In a lot of pain and a bit nervous, so wanted to get input from others.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

I don't have Lupus, but I was just diagnosed with gallstones and have been having a lot of attacks lately. I am going to be having my gallbladder removed very soon. You should make sure that you get it done laproscopically. It is much less invasive and you have a much quicker recovery time. Also, if you have pancreatitis that is very serious and I believe it requires IV anti-biotics. Check out the Digestive Disorders board. There is a lot of info there.

Good luck,
Elyse

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 01-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 12:26 PM   #3

shinegirl HB User
Talking

Thank you for replying! I had been so disappointed every time I checked and there was no reply. It's nice to know others are going through same thing. Apparently, the stones are causing the pancreitis so it likely won't go away until they pass. Thank you for the tip about the Digestive board. I hope all goes well with you!

Old 01-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

Thanks, I am going to the dr tonight to find out if I should go for surgery. I am sure that everything will turn out alright for both of us.

Elyse

P.S. I know how upsetting it can be when nobody responds! Not to offend anyone, but I am not sure how much people on the lupus board know about gallstones. I just periodically check out this board because I have sjogrens.

Old 01-18-2003, 12:13 AM   #5

sandy b HB User
Hello. hope you are feeling better. Have you had your surgery yet? I had to go 3 years with gallbladder pain because my gallbladder wouldn't drain and they finally had a test and could see it. I had the laporoscopy surgery in the same day surgery center. Not a good idea. I would stay the night if I were you. Our same day surgery centers aren't regulated by the state either. When I came out of surgery I was extremely irritated, panicky, and my blood pressure was so low I couldn't sit up. I got dressed and got out of there asap. On the ride home I was in a state of panic and like that for about 12 hours. After I got my bill it was 9,000.00 more than the estimate because I went into shock and they treated me with 17 different drugs to bring me out of it, but no one told my husband or myself. Then I got cellulitus from the top of my ribcage to my hips. Once I got over this I was very relieved that the pain from the gallbladder was gone. I was on a heavy dose of prednisone and I think it contributed to the problems during surgery.
Everything worked out fine in the end, but I would stay overnight it the hospital if I were you, just to be on the safe side. Best of luck. Sandy B

Old 02-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #6
(female)

mickeysluck HB User
I developed pancreatitis 4 months after being diagnosed with Lupus. I believe that it was caused by drugs prescribed for the Lupus. I now have chronic pancreatitis and diabetes. I did not have my gallblader removed, so can't relate to that. Good luck, it's tough getting straight answers sometimes.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry, I haven't checked the lupus board in a while. It turns out that I do not need surgery right now. I had a Hida Scan and it seems that all of my gallstones have passed without incident. But they said that it is entirely possible that they will come back at some point in the future. But that could be 10 years from now, or it could be 6 weeks from now! So I am just playing it by ear. No need for me to get it removed if the stones never come back and it remains calm and un-inflamed. If I ever do need the surgery, I will do whatever my surgeon tells me to do. If I need it in the near future I know what surgeon I will use. Even if I have ambulatory surgery, it is still going to be done in a hospital, not in a surgery center. We really don't have any of those here in Staten Island. The hospitals here all have a separate area for ambulatory surgery. You actually get admitted to the hospital on the ambulatory surgery floor, you go into a pre-op room and then when the surgery is over you go to a recovery room and when you are awake and alert and able to go home, they release you. Of course, hopefully nobody is released without their vital signs being stable. I mean, it is probably better to have any sort of surgery done in a hospital setting, but malpractice can happen anywhere! Anyway, I have been posting more info about my condition on the digestive disorders board.

But I'm just curious......I have sjogrens and reynauds and have had immune problems my whole life.... could the gallbladder problems be related to all this? Could an auto-immune disorder trigger digestive problems?

Old 03-22-2003, 01:24 PM   #8

cieside HB User
Unhappy

Hello everybody, I was diagnosed with Lupus anticoagulants in 91, fibromyalgia in 93, also have the migranes, muscle problems and gallstones....They have just this past week found tumors in my chest and on the adrenal gland. I have been in much pain with all of it and the last 4 years have been the worse. My husband of 17 years decided he could not deal with it anymore, so divorce, I lost my home, my car and all my personal belongs(rings, furniture, tv, you name it) just to survive all of this. I get a few of my medications from the pharmaceuticals companies for free. that helps and I have a disability hearing next week after 3 1/2 yrs of waiting. Hopefully it will all end soon. But the gallbladder problem I believe is linked to the lupus. At least my dr says it all has come from that. I take Loratab, Methadone, Coumadin, Neurontin and Cyclobenzaprine to help ease some of the problems, Still does not due much good. Such is life. Anyway, I wish everybody a good day....

------------------
Cecelia Futral

Closed Thread