It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #1

fatesdestinie HB User
Question i have a question

Okay, i went to a rheumetologist (spelling, not sure, sorry) like three months ago for the first time. my primary physician referred me to him because of lupus symptoms. i have been sick constantly for about a year with a bronchitis like sickness that wont go away. i get weird spotchyness, he later called it Reynauds (spelling again,.) . i get migraines, and numbness in various body parts, mostly my feet and hands. my vision sometimes gets fuzzy,.. basically i am falling apart and i'm only 18. well, anyway the rheumetologist prescribed me something called hydroxychloroquine. he pretty much said i am positive for lupus, and did blood work (i havent heard anything from him since on that...). just wanted to check and see if my symptoms are lupus related or not,.. or maybe just hear your input. thanks
crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #2

annika.64 HB User
Hi Crystal. I am 38 years old and like you, started getting sick at 17/18 years old, when I started uni. I had migraines (with associated numbness and loss of vision, usually on one side).
There is only one thing I can say to you. That is, not just that I have been there, but that I still am there, altho' in a different way these days.

Make sure you find out the details of your blood tests before jumping to too many conclusions, but, be prepared to seek as much info as possible about your condition, whatever it is, because you obviously are sick.

That is how I've made it thro' some of the tough times. (By the way, I still only feel 18 inside - sometimes anyway; except when I'm really sore!)

Let us know how you go and we can chat about the results. Until then, hold on and get plenty of rest.

PS The Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is an immunosuppressant which hopefully will do the trick without using corticosteroids. Make sure that you get the info on any medication they want to give you. Don't go in blind, and don't just accept it as gospel, that you have to have such and such. I did, and regret it now that I have developed osteoporosis after 15years of Prednisone.

Sorry, I said I only had one thing to say, but I relate so much to your situation, that I feel like I just had to have a chat.

Annie Kay xxoo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2003, 01:09 PM   #3

fatesdestinie HB User
Thanks, my next appointment is coming up on the 21st, so i'll let you know whats going on. hope all is well with you.
crystal

Old 04-11-2003, 01:25 PM   #4

Criktor HB User
hi,
When I was 18, I started to feel as though I were falling apart, and without any reason why. Frankly I thought I had an incompitant Dr, when he said I might have had Rhuematic Fever or have a rhumatalogical illness. (I also knew nothing about either one of them) It just seemed impossible, in a horrifically cliched way, "not me. There can't be anything THAT wrong with me". So I laughed at him, and his suggestion of going to see yet another Dr. until my hands were hurting too badly to put on clothes, and my joints ached. Sorry to go into my own issues, when I should actually be addressing yours. Anyhoo, at that point I actually went to the rheumy, who diagnosed me with lupus. Which makes sinse, since my paternal aunt has it as well. I'm now the ripe old age of 22, and haven't really found anything to keep me in control of the lupus. Unfourtunatly for me, I was allergic to the plaquinil,(no trips to rural India for me. I don't know what would be worse, though, malaria or the quinine allergy ) and I'm not ready for Imuran yet, so I've been plodding along, taking large doses of naproxen when needed.
Now that I finally believe my first Dr. wasn't a quack, I'm just upset that Dr.'s don't know more. But try and keep yourself informed, I've found that helps me keep a grasp on the situation. And this message board is wonderful. I've found that effects of Lupus are very internal, that it's sometimes hard for family and friends to see how much you are hurting. It would be easier if you were missing an appendage or had a major laceration. It's lovely to be able to talk with people who understand all this. Best of luck in handling all this. See perhaps if there is a counslor or support group in your area, that specializes in lupus or other rhuem. problems. Good Luck,

Closed Thread