It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #1

conshek HB User
Question Not diagnosed yet, but have some Quest.???

My dr., who thought there was nothing wrong with me now thinks I have Lupus. This past Friday she ordered some bloodwork (ANA, DNA and something else?), but the results won't be back for another week or so. I have an appt. w/ a reumatologist on 23 APR and I'm hoping to get some answers then. In the mean time I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of non-organ threatening Lupus turning into orgran threating? I have already had a ton of bloodwork done that shows my organs are fine so I know that if I do have Lupus it's non-organ threatening, at least for now.

How can you distinguish between the Lupus butterfly rash and roscea? I have hashimoto's (diagonsed in 2nd grade and I'm now 29) and I'm hoping that despite my normal TSH level that there's something off the dr. just hasn't seen.

Does anyone have a problem with their fingernails separating from the nail plate? This is happening to me. Below the white part of my nail there's a red band that goes across my nail.

Thanks for reading this.
Carrie

Old 04-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #2

stinner HB User
Lupus is a very hard thing to get a handle on because it is different for everyone.

I'm 31 and though I am healthy now, I can't possibly tell what will happen in the future. My doctors continue to take more tests all of the time and though I feel great, I think I will have to get a kidney biopsy to rule out one more thing.

Be happy that your labs look good now. And if you feel good, remember that that is important. I think the best thing you can do is keep a positive attitude. Will your organs ever be effected? I can't say, but keep your chin up and the lack of stress will get you a long way.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #3

conshek HB User
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have a fair amount of stress lately. My husband has been gone, should be home for a week or so soon, but he'll leave again for a month (he's in the Army). He doesn't know that anything has been going one with me. I didn't want to say something over the phone and worry him since there's nothing he can do. I'm waiting until he comes home.
Carrie

Old 04-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #4

quackers HB User
I had the info u needed printed out...but can't find it now. I do believe the article said that there is a 15 to 30% chance of someone with non SLE to go on to full blown lupus (sle). And I believe it said it was a 30% chance. (my memory sucks! partly due to Lupus I'm sure, but i also have antiphospholipid syndrome which is causing blood clots in the little bitty tiny blood vessles in my brain, when they burst (the rheumatologist) says that it cause's the short term memory probs)

only 30% of lupus sufferers actually have the classical 'butterfly' rash that is associated with lupus.

As for distinguishing between the butterfly rash and roscea...I'm not sure. The few ppl I have met that have roscea...I can't say for sure but I think that the butterfly rash looks different than that. I don't have the butterfly myself but I do have the discoid lesions..which of course if something totally different.

hope this has helped u in some way. take care and be safe.

Closed Thread