It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 02:12 PM   #1

skodobah HB User
Red face Plaquenil - Can It Work Quickly?

Hi -

I just started Plaquenil (400 mg a day) two week ago and I started feeling less achy and tired a few days ago. Is it possible for it to work quicker in some people? I've heard it can take months, but I must say that I haven't felt like this since I was a kid - not achy or stiff. Has anyone had a similar experience with Plaquenil? Thank you.

- Sko

Old 04-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
I've never been on it but my cousin has and she started
feeling better after a couple of weeks too.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 05:57 PM   #3

Hagg HB User
Smile

Hi,
I felt much better two or three weeks after I started taking Plaquenil, too. My Rheumy said that it works faster in some people.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #4

skodobah HB User
Thanks everyone - everything I had read said it would take about 8 weeks to feel results! I thought I was crazy, or maybe having a placebo effect! It is working pretty well!!

Old 02-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User
Re: Plaquenil - Can It Work Quickly?

Just an FYI-
Plaquenil is NOT known to start working that fast. It takes anywhere from 4-6 months before the affects of Plaquenil are seen/felt.
This is the case with everyone I know that takes it. My rheumy has said(and everything I've read on Plaquenil) that Plaquenil NEEDS that amount of time to build in your system before it stats to have beneficial effects.
Any 'feeling good' that early on is most likely due to something else in your body at the time. Maybe a slight remission or just having good days.
It can also be a case of 'mind over matter' which isn't a bad thing! lol
I know it took about 5 mths. for me before it started working.

LupieOne

Old 02-03-2004, 03:18 AM   #6

*Pook* HB User
Lightbulb Re: Plaquenil - Can It Work Quickly?

Hi Guys,

I haven't been here for a while - just checked in and found this question on Plaquenil - for me it took approx nine weeks to begin to work - I'm only taking 200mg per day so far - it seemed to stop working a few weeks later - most days are pretty good (I s'pose) but I drop nearly every afternoon. I have experimented with different times of the day to take the Plaquenil as it seems to interfere with my sleep, not sure if anyone else has experienced this?
I'm trying Melatonin for my insomnia!
I think my body prefers night time 'cos there's no sun!!

Hope everyone is well,

Best Wishes,
Gina

Old 02-03-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
(male)

Rdryno HB User
Talking Re: Plaquenil - Can It Work Quickly?

I have been on Plaquenil for about six weeks. The first week was hell as I got used to the medicine -- I was terribly irritable, in a lot of pain, and just not pleasant to be around. After that first week, I felt good for the next three or four weeks. Still a little pain, but better than it was before I started to take the medicine.

Now, I'm in week six and I again have the joint pain, joint stiffness and fatigue. My theory is that I felt good for the first few weeks because of a placibo effect and it's going to take a couple more weeks before I actually feel better because of the chemical effects of the medicine.

But in reality, whether it really takes eight weeks or two weeks, whether it's really the medicine or just the placibo effect, the bottom line is that if you feel better taking it, that's what is important.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:16 PM   #8

Ryka2015 HB User

ive been taking plaquenil for 6 months now and i dont feel any better it hasent horked yet for me

Old 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, everyone. I felt better a few weeks after starting the Plaquenil. BUT I'd stopped doing sun months prior... When I started I was rash-free but constitutionally miserable (arthritis, swollen joints, low-grade fever, etc.)

The first things to go away were the fever and stiffness (esp. the lower back misery) and the fatigue started lessening quickly. I could stand upright!

I got a couple of "wanna-be" rashes, like ghosts, in lesser form.

Then about 10 weeks in, I had my worst shoulder and elbow pain ever. Nauseating. Lasted three days---almost like my body was doing a computer-style "system dump". Since then, I still get the shoulder & elbow pain, but not that ugly stuff so bad you just hunker down and try not to move.

It might affect us all differently, depending on how much "immune junk" build-up we had at the point of starting the med; how deep our symptoms are; etc. Must be a whole lot of variables... My best to you all, from Vee

Old 04-20-2004, 06:01 PM   #10

Suecat3 HB User

I started to feel better after taking Plaqyenil for about a week-less fatigue. If it's the placebo effect-hey, I'll take it! I have had more joint stiffness and soreness in the past few weeks, though.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

I have a question. What if I started Plaquenil, BUT what if I don't really have Lupus (if my face rash is rosacea and my joint pain is something else)...it just concerns me...since there is no definate test for Lupus...so, what if I were to start taking it...would it harm me?

Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #12
(female)

Kathryn HB User

Hey ya..

I'm not sure if this is why, but it's been about 13 months ago that I started Plaquenil and I think it's doing some good. ORdinqarily I would be uppiing the Prednisone. I'm only on 10mg and that is good. By the way, I do feel good and exercise now about 5 days a week. Lordy, I'm really working it. Gotta keep that blood moving so my brain gets oxygen to work properly cause I'm forgetting things so much lately. LOL We'll see.

Star
among the STARS!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 AM   #13

so_confussed HB User

i started it plaquenil
6months ago it made me feel alot better.but they just took me off of it .now i feel bad again.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
(female)

Kathryn HB User

Maybe you should discuss this with your doctor. Sounds like he took away a med that was doing a good job,unless there is something else that is preventing you from taking it of course.
among the STARS!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I tried to get on Plaquenil years ago, and couldn't tolerate it, but now I'm thinking there might be a lessor dose I should try.

I'm new to the area, so don't have a rheumy yet. Anyone know the dose range of this, and what most people start out on?

Thanks.................carole

Closed Thread