It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2003, 06:00 AM   #1

alextheangel HB User
Question sticky, red, irritated eyes in the morning

I was just wondering if anyone has sticky red, irritated eyes just in the morning. They remind me of pink eye but it is not. They do get irrated as the day progresses but I would not say that I have "dry eyes" in the way that some people on this board do. I first started having problems last year and I never had some of the symptoms that the doctors first mentioned would possibly happen to me and now they are starting to come out. So I suspect that this might just be the beginning of a full blown problem. I was diagnosed with SLE and sjogrens. Can anyone tell me if this was how they first began with their illness.

Thanks so much for your time.
Melissa

Old 05-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi, I have lupus and Reynaud's and had red, goopy eyes in the past. I saw my eye doctor and he gave me a routine to follow that has meant I no longer have the problem. He said that normally the upper eyelids secrete an oil that helps protect the eyes from infection. I have "dry eyes". The routine is to remove your eye make-up in the evening, then put a warm, wet washcloth over your closed eyes for several minutes. Then very gently massage your upper eyelids for a minute, particularly near your eyelashes. The warmth helps the natural oil liquify and the massage pushes it out and into you eyes like normal. I've had no further infections. The doctor also gave me an opthalmic (for the eye) ointment to use to clear up that first infection. If this routine I described does not help, go see your eye doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi, Melissa, I wondered if your eye problems had improved and if you've seen your eye doctor yet? Hope you're better! Peace - Barbara

Closed Thread