It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2003, 11:19 PM   #1

nice jelly bean HB User
Cool about lupus skin biopsy

Hi all,

I am so confused here. Can a patient be diagnosed as SLE if the immunoflourescent tests done for skin biopsy shows up negative / inconclusive ??? Anyone with this situation here after doing a skin test?? I appreciate any info. on this. I am also trying to rid the horrible skin rash and have been on plaq. for 4 months. It did not work and I am in dilemma.

thank u.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 07:04 AM   #2

KatesTired HB User
Lupus is a very tricky disease - very difficult to diagnose, because everyone seems to have different sets of symptoms-that mimic other illness.

There are different forms of Lupus. Sounds like they were trying to do the biopsy to determine if you had the skin-type Lupus (Discoids). SLE patients can have a rash involved and even UV senitivity, but not to the extent of Discoids. I do not know too much on Discoids, you may want to do some research on it. Have they done blood work? Do you have other symptoms of SLE or Discoids? (You can look symptoms on *****.com)

Plaquinil is a very slow working drug that has to be slowly absorbed in the body and that level maintained for it to work effectively. Don't give up on it - it is one of the best bang-for-the-buck (it does a lot with few side serious effects).

Hopefully your doctor can give you some insight (are you seeing a Rhumetoidologist? They are the best for Lupus.)

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread