It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2003, 02:44 PM   #1

Cadet Janice HB User
Post Introducing Me. and a methotrexate question.

Hi everyone My name is Janice I have cadet infromnt of it because I am currently enrolled in the law enforcement academy. What is someone with Lupus doing in the police academy you may ask. I have no idea. lol. I am not sponsored so it doesn't matter to anyone that I mayy never finish. I have 2 children 1 + 4 and I have been diagnosed with Lupus for 10 years. I also just celebrated my 10 year anniversary being married to the greatest guy ever.

I have recently been put on Methotrexate and the first time I took it I felt sick for around 10 hours and the 2nd time I took it I took it on a sunday night and I was sick al day Monday and Tuesday. Is this normal ? I am not sure if it was the medication that made me sick or not because sick for 2 days that seems rather long from one dose. have any of you had experiences with this medication ? I have also been offered the injectible form. I dont mind giving myself an injection but will it really make a diffrence?

Thanks for any input on this.

Janice

Old 05-01-2003, 10:29 PM   #2

nice jelly bean HB User
Cool

Hello,

I'm interested to know what dose are u on Cadet ? My doc says usually patients don't experience any side effect if taking 8 pills weeekly. maybe you can change to another alternative ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 06:55 AM   #3

Cadet Janice HB User
I am taking 3 pills weekly. I know I am made neasious (sp?) very easily but I am not sure if it was the medication or not. I do hope not because I just noticed a diffrence in how I feel yesturday and today. My. Dr. had told me even on the small dose people can get sick. Weird how diffrent doctors say diffrent things. I guess it is because he knows my history. I am an easy barfer. He did say the side effects would go away but I have 2 little kids and if I am down for a day or two that is not going to work.
He also said that injectible may not be as bad but I don't see how.

Janice

Old 05-06-2003, 12:18 AM   #4

nice jelly bean HB User
Cool

hi Cadet,

My doc. prescribes Folic (i think spell folate acid) to reduce side effects. Are u taking that too ? What symtoms / illness do you have and are u getting better ?

Old 05-06-2003, 04:53 AM   #5

UpACreek HB User
Yes, the folic acid is a must! I always took mine on Friday night before bed so I would have the weekend to recover if it made me feel bad. It never did. It helped a lot but my doc took me off due to some liver troubles. Be sure your doc is doing blood work every 3 months!! I hope it settles down for you soon! I wouldn't give up on it too fast, it is a great med! IMHO! LOL

Old 05-06-2003, 05:31 AM   #6

Cadet Janice HB User
I wasn't offered Folic acid but I will ask the doctor about if on Friday. Thankfully I have an appointment then.

AS for my symptoms Lupus, fibromyaliga, degenerative joint, severe joint pain and stifness, heriniate disks,Raynards,memory loss and loss of balance and coordination. I could go on for ever but thats all I can type today.

I thought I was noticing improvment but then I am right back to where I was these last few days. So I am not sure about the improvement. I may just have had a few good days.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 AM   #7

UpACreek HB User
Do NOT wait til Friday! Call the doctor today. I am surprised that he forgot the folic acid! It happens, but you need it!! No wonder it is making you so sick!! Gosh, call right away, don't wait. Let us know how you feel after you start the folic acid, ok? Hugs!

Old 05-06-2003, 06:41 PM   #8

fatesdestinie HB User
okay, got a question, doesnt really pertain to the topic though... sorry janice, but i gotta ask cause i have a really bad memory (short term is the worst, but long term isnt much better) and i have horrible coordination and balance.. are those things i should tell my doctor about? hope you're feeling a bit better!
crystal

Old 05-10-2003, 06:31 AM   #9

Cadet Janice HB User
Yes Crystal do tell your doctor. You may just have something simple as an inner ear infection. You never know.

I had a period when my balance and cooridination was so bad I would clip doorways as I walked through and fall over in my hallway. I alwasy had bruised on my shoulders but it has since gotten better. I never did find out what it was.

Janice
Oh and I saw the dr's nurse on Friday he is out of town still no folate. Grrrr. I am going to go get some on my own.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #10

DaleJ HB User
Unhappy

HI, My name is Dale, I am a 51 female, diagnosed with SLE in 1981. No internal organs were involved except for joints and skin and of course Blood. They started me off on 60mg of pred and as the years went by I finally got down to 4mg. Well, I moved to TN and found a new Dr. They put me on methotrexate 8 months ago,taking 6 pills once a week 2.5 mg.For the past 3 months
My liver enzymes are coming Back HIGH. The latest this week was SGOT 69 SGPT 91. They took me off the Lipitor, and the vioxx and lowered the methotrexate by one pill, and want to retest me in 6 weeks. They mentioned if they still keep getting higher a liver biopsy may be needed. I dont want aliver biopsy.
I am sooooooooooooooooooo Scared.
Can someone help me?
Thanks for listening.
Dale

Closed Thread