It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

louanndeb HB User
can someone give me some symptoms of lupus?

Hi, I was wondering what some of the symptoms of lupus are. I was healthy until one day I woke up and my feet ,legs,hands were all tingling and numb. I had a hard time getting around and I felt a lot of pressure in my chest,stomach. The dr. did an MRI and found lesions on my brain and spine so he diagnosed it as probable MS. I had a lumbar puncture done and it came back normal. The dr. treated me with steroids and my legs,feet,grip has gotten so much better but my hands hurt constantly like they are burning and my fingertips feel raw. My hands also get discolored, they will get really white in parts and then red and blue in others. I went to the dr. today and he noticed that when bloodwork was done some of the readings were high for lupus. (he did not tell me what they were) He ordered some more bloodwork. My hands are also stiff and hurt when I make a fist. Do any of these symptoms sound like Lupus? Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: can someone give me some symptoms of lupus?

Hi, Louanndeb. A big welcome to you! For info on symptoms, tests, diagnostic criteria, etc., look at very top of thread list, for 3 threads, each marked "Sticky". These are permanent info posts with basic info.

For more comprehensive info: most libraries & large bookstores have several excellent lupus hardcover authors. One is Dr. Daniel Wallace, and another is Dr. Robert Lahita.

There isn't actually a single blood test, or even tests, for lupus. That said, some tests *add to* a lupus Dx. On one of those "stickies", you'll see the ACR criteria for Dx'ing systemic lupus. The list is a grab-bag of tests & symptoms. Generally (not always), a person must meet at least 4 of the 11 criteria, but not necessarily all at once, for a Dx of systemic lupus (SLE). Think of checking criteria off in indelible ink, once met.

You could ask for copies of your labs & start a personal file (never hurts).

Is your dr. a rheumatologist?

Going thru the diagnostic process for lupus (& similar conditions as well) can be enormously frustrating, on top of your not feeling well to begin with, so I'm really glad you found us here! We're good company (if I do say so myself ). Sending warm wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 05-08-2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

louanndeb HB User
thank you

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to the library today and look for some books and also check the postings here. Right now I am just seeing a neuro but I had some more bloodwork today to check some things for lupus and he said if that came back with any sign of lupus I would need to see a rheumatologist. Thanks again for the info.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: can someone give me some symptoms of lupus?

Hi, you're very welcome. I hope others who've gone down the neuro vs. rheumie path chip in soon. Let us know how you're doing, OK? Got my fingers crossed for you! Bye, Vee

Closed Thread