It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #1

fatesdestinie HB User
Question piercings or tattoos...

Okay, i have a general question. i have lupus (obviously, huh?) and am diabetic. i want to get a tattoo, or maybe my eyebrow pierced. does anyone have any advice, or comments about the risks of infection and whatnot? thanks.
crystal

Old 04-08-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Doesn't sound like too good of an idea. Both your
conditions could cause you to heal slower than normal
and you may be at a higher risk for infection. Also
if you ever want to remove them it is done with
lasers and a dermatologist told a friend of mine
that lasers should not be used on the skin of someone
who has Lupus.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #3

rayofsunshine HB User
i had my belly button pierced, and it took around a year to heal, but i hear it takes a while normally anyway. isuppose if you keep the piercing clean you should be alright. i dont know about tatoos. i quite fancy one myself, but as i am taking warafin i dont think it would be a good idea. hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #4

Criktor HB User
Cool

Hi,
I have lupus, 2 piercings (my nose and tongue) and 1 tattoo. (Soon to be 2 tattoos on my back) I haven't had any problems with infection with these, and my healing time has been that that my artist said it would be. The increase chance in infection means to me that you must simply be more careful than you already should be, about finding a piercing/tattoo parlour that uses hygenic methods. In regard to the laser removal, if that is a concern, perhaps a tattoo is not the right choice for you. Ideally, body art should last forever, right? If you have a design that you really like, and a place that you would really like it, research in your area, different parlours. Even feel free to go up to anyone you see with a tattoo and ask for a recommendation as to where to go. More than likely they'll give you an honest answer, and happily pass you on to their favorite artist. In terms of piercing, I say go for it. In the worst case scenario of it getting infected, (which is shouldn't if you take proper care of it) you can take it out, and the hole will close, most likely within days. Have fun, and go for it!

Old 04-11-2003, 12:12 PM   #5

fatesdestinie HB User
okay, thanks guys, i'll keep the comments in mind when i go about looking. and if i do get one you better believe i'm gonna check out the various places around town. thanks again!

Old 05-06-2003, 05:55 AM   #6

UpACreek HB User
One more idea... since you have lupus, it may be that at some point you might need an MRI and don't tatoos interfere with that? Piercings can be removed, I mean the jewelry can, but tatoos cannot. Don't they still use things in the dyes that cause trouble if you need an MRI? Just a thought.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:57 AM   #7

UpACreek HB User
Forgot to say... how about using henna body decorations? The henna stays on for weeks but isn't permanent and won't interfere with MRI's. Look into that, there are salons that do them, just ask around. Also, then you can change your 'tatoo' design at your whim too! :-)

Old 05-06-2003, 06:24 AM   #8

Cadet Janice HB User
tatoos do not interfear with MRI's. Not in my experiences anyhow. I have had numerous MRI's and was never asked about a tatoo. I have one on my ankle over the bone and when I had an mri of my ankle they didnt mention it and it was not a problem. I just wish the surgeon had removed it when he did my surgery. I forgot to ask him to.

Think long and hard about getting a tatoo. I wish I hadnt.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:41 PM   #9

fatesdestinie HB User
yeah, i've tried the henna, but i've been doing it through the at-home kits, and those are just really time consuming,.. and lately i just havent had the time.. and henna artists are really expensive in the area. thanks, until i get a real one henna will have to do.
crystal

Old 05-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #10

HRATL HB User
hey fatesdestinie, did you get the Tatt???? and or piercing? Let us know how you are doing...

Old 05-27-2003, 05:23 AM   #11

fatesdestinie HB User
Wink

hey all, well i decided to put off either one until i get back from vacation, going to the beach and i dont think the sun and sand will be good for either one peircing or tattoo. however, i will keep you posted! thanks!
crystal

Closed Thread