It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Post Question about Lupus testing...please help

Hi....about 7 months ago, I started having joint and muscle pain...I had all sorts of testing done, including a full Lupus panel. The only thing that showed up on the Lupus panel was a mild positive ANA, speckled with a Titer of 1:80.

Shortly after that, I found out that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disease where the body attacks the thyroid and joint/muscle pain are very common. I started on my thyroid medication and feel much better. I also found out that an ANA can show up when you have thyroid disease.

So, I let go of the thought that I might have Lupus, but then I read here that some have symptoms way before anything shows up on the blood tests.

But.....I have looked over the 11 criteria, and all I have is the ANA and the joint pain...nothing else...and my Lupus panel was quite extensive......with complement testing, among all the antibodies.

I do have a reddish face but my dermatologist said it was definately rosacea.

My kidneys are perfect, no rashes, no ulcers, etc etc

What do you think? I am doing all this worrying of this ANA test and I wish I could let it go

PS.....the ANA was done twice and both times were the same result.

Thanks

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi,

I think you may have misread something - you wrote that many people have symptoms before their blood work tests positive for lupus (as if they have already been diagnosed with lupus and are just waiting for the time when the lab tests confirm it). In my experience and this is what my doctor says is most common, I had symptoms long before they were bad enough for me to go to the doctor and be tested. In the preceding years, I'd written off my vague symptoms of fatigue, aches, swollen glands,and pains as flu or overwork or stress or too much sun, etc. It was after I'd sought medical help that my sympotms in years past could be seen as lupus-related. The statistics say most lupus patients have had lupus for 6 to 10 years before their symptoms cause them to seek medical help.

My first ANA was 1:40 (normal is 1:39 or less). Six weeks later it was 1:600. How far apart were your ANA tests?

Hope this helps. Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Hi Barbara...I think I am more confused now...LOL..what I mean is this....people who have not been diagnosed with anything but go to the dr for symptoms....but nothing shows up yet in the blood....but shows up later....does this make sense?

My ANA tests were 8 weeks apart and had the exact same result.

I am feeling less worried though...I saw my endocrinologist for a checkup today for my Hashimotos/Hypothyroidism.....and I asked him about it. he said that being I have antibodies to the thyroid, make it very likely to have ANA also...and he sees it a lot with his thyroid patients with auto immune thyroid disease.

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Closed Thread