It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #1

robbie822 HB User
Question From cellcept to Imuran Tablets?????

My rumy swithched me from cellcept because i told him that drug should be outlawed. You had to build your eating habits completely around it and it made me sicker than you kn0w what....He then switched me to Imuran (generic: AZATHIOPRINE ). I was wondering if any one else is taking this drug and how they are reacting to it.....Please reply.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #2

shasha HB User
hi robbie,
i havent checked this forum out in a while. glad i saw your ques. i have been diag. with lupus since feb. this yr. and was put on plaquinil along with imuran.
since feb. i have not noticed any help from these drugs. the only side effect i have is hair thinning which also could just be from the lupus.
thats all i can tell you.
good luck
sha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 AM   #3

ohdeb HB User
Hi Robbie. I can tell you about my experience with Imuran but, that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. Medicines affect different people in different ways. I've had Lupus for about 9 years now. Was fine with it the first 7. Then I got really bad with it. Pains, etc. developed antiphospholipid syndrome. I had a small stroke from that. Well, the month after my stroke my anti ds dna shot way up over 200. So I finally agreed to take Imuran didn't really want to because of the side effects but I did. I started at 100 mg per day it took about 8 weeks or so to kick in but it did help me. Not 100% but it helped. I was also on other meds too many to list..(LOL) prednisone and plaquenil being two of them. I had my blood work done every 6 weeks as it can affect your white counts. My blood work was always ok, up until just this past month. After taking Imuran for 14 months, my blood showed myelocytes, which are NOT supposed to be there. They are immature white cells. to make a long story short, I had to have a bone marrow biopsy, (actually not really that bad) as one of the side effects of Imuran is leuekemia. Well, thank God, I showed no luekemia or malignancies, however, I did show blasts in my marrow, which are not good either. But, the drs seem to think all of this may be coming from the Imuran, the rest of my white count is fine. I also show a shift to the left in my blood work, which is immature white cells ( to detailed to explain. ) Anyway, I am seeing my rheumy on Fri and insisting I want to stop the Imuran. not that there is any evidence whatsoever that it was the Imuran that caused all of this, but I'm not taking chances. So, it is up to you as to whether you take it or not, sometimes you have to weigh the risks if its going to help you. I was going to ask about taking cellcept in place of the Imuran IF I get worse after stopping the Imuran.
What problems did you have with Cellcept? I think that Cellcept is safer than Imuran, if my memory is correct.
I hope I was of some information to you. And remember, just because I had this experience, doesn't mean you will. My best to you and feel better!!!!!

Debbie

Old 06-18-2003, 10:02 AM   #4

ohdeb HB User
Hi Robbie. I can tell you about my experience with Imuran but, that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. Medicines affect different people in different ways. I've had Lupus for about 9 years now. Was fine with it the first 7. Then I got really bad with it. Pains, etc. developed antiphospholipid syndrome. I had a small stroke from that. Well, the month after my stroke my anti ds dna shot way up over 200. So I finally agreed to take Imuran didn't really want to because of the side effects but I did. I started at 100 mg per day it took about 8 weeks or so to kick in but it did help me. Not 100% but it helped. I was also on other meds too many to list..(LOL) prednisone and plaquenil being two of them. I had my blood work done every 6 weeks as it can affect your white counts. My blood work was always ok, up until just this past month. After taking Imuran for 14 months, my blood showed myelocytes, which are NOT supposed to be there. They are immature white cells. to make a long story short, I had to have a bone marrow biopsy, (actually not really that bad) as one of the side effects of Imuran is leuekemia. Well, thank God, I showed no luekemia or malignancies, however, I did show blasts in my marrow, which are not good either. But, the drs seem to think all of this may be coming from the Imuran, the rest of my white count is fine. I also show a shift to the left in my blood work, which is immature white cells ( to detailed to explain. ) Anyway, I am seeing my rheumy on Fri and insisting I want to stop the Imuran. not that there is any evidence whatsoever that it was the Imuran that caused all of this, but I'm not taking chances. So, it is up to you as to whether you take it or not, sometimes you have to weigh the risks if its going to help you. I was going to ask about taking cellcept in place of the Imuran IF I get worse after stopping the Imuran.
What problems did you have with Cellcept? I think that Cellcept is safer than Imuran, if my memory is correct.
I hope I was of some information to you. And remember, just because I had this experience, doesn't mean you will. My best to you and feel better!!!!!

Debbie

Old 06-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #5

ohdeb HB User

Debbie

Old 06-18-2003, 10:04 AM   #6

ohdeb HB User

Debbie

Old 06-30-2003, 09:12 PM   #7

robbie822 HB User
debbie... beside the fact that u couldn't eat any thing 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking this cellcept( i had to do it in the am and pm) it also made me feel just plain terrible. sore stiff everything. i've been off it for 3 months and i do feel better. but i'm having a flare-up now. no eyebrows, hair falling out and a bad rash from my head to my toes. just sae my rhummy today. his famous last words "Just keep doing what your doing" Yeah, right...
hope this helps you Debbie.....good luck...robbie

Old 07-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #8

OMI999 HB User
I started taking IMURAN about a year ago.. and i truly dont see where it has helped me. but it does affect people differently. besides the hair falling out...i dont see any effects. for me the prednisone is what does the most help. that and the plaquenil. i am trying to wean myself off of the imuran and a lower dosage of pred

Old 07-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #9

StillWater HB User
Robbie,

I've been taking imuran for 3 years. Before that I was taking 40 mg prednisone. I couldn't lower it due to serious CNS problems. The imuran was prescribed to help me low the prednisone, and with imuran I was able to lower pred to 10 mg a day. The dangers of prednisone are less on this dose. I am taking 125 mg Imuran. I have noticed no side effects. For a while I thought it might be causing GI discomfort at night, so I switched to morning. The discomfort didn't change, so I guess that wasn't it. I changed Previcid to night instead of morning and that helped.

I also take 300 mg plaquenil and a few other unrelated things.

Everyone is different, so your experience could be different. But I'd encourage you not to be afraid to try Imuran.

StillWater

Closed Thread