It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #1

tammy26t HB User
Lightbulb been on plaqunil for a year

hello i am new to this site. i have been on plaqunil 200mg for a little over a year. i was dx 2 years ago. i have other friends that have lupus and said that they are not gonna take it. they said it causes problems with long term use. i was wondering if anyone has taking it for long time and if any what problems do you have? i feel so much better since i started taking it. i really do not want to stop but i also do not want to have problems. i am only 28 years old. do you think i started too early?

Old 02-16-2003, 04:13 PM   #2

cwoody HB User
Smile

Hey Tammy, I was dx with Lupus Nov 1998. I have heard lots of bad things about plaqunil but I used it for about 6 months and I felt great and have had no side effects. And I was 28 when I used it.
I would like to chat more with U.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #3

nice jelly bean HB User
Cool

Hi,

after developing red rashes on my face and body (looks red and patchy and ugly) my doc has started me on plaquenil (2 tablets daily)which is the safest drug to use. After 2months, I still have red spots and I am running out of patience. The doc says it takes a while for this drug to work and so far has been very effective in treating my skin problem for other patients. The doc says to give this drug more time to work. My concern is how long do I have to wait b4 I see some results !!!! and whether the rash will ever go away.

If you have experience such condition please respond. I need further advice and encouragement too.

thanks a lot.

Old 03-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #4

ssweaver HB User
Smile

Hello.

I was just dx with lupus of the skin 2 weeks ago. I have had this rash(red bumps that itch like crazy)for 3-4 years. I was put on steriods for 2-3 years and put on 50-60 pounds due to them. The steriods took care of the problem for 2 weeks at a time but they would just come right back and I would have to start all over on the steriods. I went up to Hershey Med. a couple weeks ago and told me about the lupus. They had put me on Plaquinol and I am doing just fine. I had noticed 2-3 days after taking the med. the rash has gone away. I am not itching anymore. Don't have to worry about what to wear or how bad it is going to look. If anyone has anything they would like to say to me about this I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 03-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Ann S HB User
Jelly bean,
I had a rash on my arms and upper chest............ it was decided that because of the lupus, I was now sensitive to the sun. Most of it went away after about 2-3 months, except for a little on my upper chest which is only really visible sporadically. I wasn't on the plaquenil then, but I did quit exposing myself to sun. I've been on the plaquenil for about 2yrs. It took about 5 months before it kicked in for me and helped with some of my joint symptoms. I wouldn't want to have to quit. Give it a longer chance cause it really varies with different people. Good Luck, Ann

Old 07-11-2003, 08:57 PM   #6

Megan31 HB User
Talking

Since being on the plaquinil, the rashes on my face and neck have cleared up... yes it took about 2 months for the meds to kick in but at this point (3 yrs later) I am afraid of stopping this medication because my doc says it is the safest one as well... I am very happy with the results of the plaq. though!

Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi, everyone,

I was diagnosed with lupus in 1999 at age 48. I took Plaquenil twice a day for several years without problems. Then I started having abdominal cramps and "the runs" , at first just once evey few months, now 6 or more times a month. It seems to be linked to the Plaquenil and I've all but quit taking it - still have those bathroom days though. My doctor tried my on actual Chloraquine (sp?) but nothing improved.

**It is essential for everyone taking Plaquenil to have an eye doctor check your vision right away (as a baseline) and every 6 months for as long as you're on it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif It's a great lupus drug, but can cause damage to your eyes. If your eye doctor detects eye problems, you're taken off Plaquenil and the eye problems clear up. That is, if you're being checked every 6 months. If the eye damage is not found, it can become permanent.

I wish us well!! Barbara

Old 07-17-2003, 01:30 AM   #8

ClareTee HB User
Just to mention that if Plaquenil causes problems it is very likely that chloroquine will too~ it is the same but stronger. Do not hesitate to try Plaquenil there are no serious long term side effects perhaps there is some cnfusion with Prednisone.

The alternative is called Quinacrine ( UK Mepacrine)
Cheers
Clare

Closed Thread