It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 08:42 AM   #1

mollyd1234 HB User
Talking Lupus???

I am extremely confused. I was tested for Lupus after having a loss of hearing in my left ear four years ago. My ANA level was 1:1024. From everything I've read, that seems very high. My rheumatologist is baffled because all my other blood work is normal except for a slightly elevated DS-DNA. He is also baffled because I don't have any symptoms whatsoever. No rash, no fatigue, no joint pain, etc. I feel perfectly fine actually. He did mention antiphospholipid antibody syndrome but I haven't found much on that topic. I just thought that my level was extremely high compared to what I've read about others. I should also mention that I am on Tegretol for a seizure I had five years ago. Could that have caused it? My rheumatologist basically said go home and wait five years and if nothing happens, you're probably ok. Terrible advice because I have been anxious and panicky since and check my skin daily for rashes. Any feedback would be appreciated especially about my ANA level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #2

Ruth HB User
Smile

Hello Mollyd, my ANA level also tested high, and I
feel fine. My doctor suggested that I take the test because I developed a brief rash on my arms and legs after I took an antibiotic for a leg infection, and I also have a mild case of Raynaud's syndrome. The leg infection cleared up quickly and so did the rash. The ANA reading of 1:1285 was a shocker, since I have no symptoms of lupus or anything else! I don't know what to make of it all either. Oh yes, I also seem to have APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), which I suppose may have had something to do with the leg infection, and I am now taking a daily baby aspirin. That's it. You didn't mention your age, Mollyd. I have read that ANA levels tend to go up as we get older, and they are often elevated in people who are over age 60. Well, I'm 65. My rheumy did make it clear that an elevated
ANA titer does not necessarily indicate the presence of
lupus. Right now I don't know what, if anything, to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #3

mollyd1234 HB User
Smile

Hello Ruth
Thank you for responding, it made me feel so much better. It's amazing because my doctor also suggested that I have APS but couldn't really tell because there is no specific test for it. I too take one baby aspirin per day. I have tried to research it but found little information on the subject. The only thing I seem to find out is that it may cause frequent miscarriages. That bothers me a little because I'm 25 years old and my husband and I would like to start a family soon. My doctor did tell me though that there is a way to have a successful pregnancy if something like that should happen. This whole thing bothers me because there seems to be so many more questions than answers. Ruth, thank you very much for responding. Take care....

Closed Thread