It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Inactive

renae HB User
Post Birth control & Lupus

Hello everyone--can any of the women with lupus tell me what contraception they use? I was told by my doctor that I can't take the pill because of Lupus. I plan to go in to discuss my options but wanted to find out what others use, how they like it and any other information that you care to share. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2002, 02:59 PM   #2

RedOnTheHead HB User
The reason you're being told not to take the pill b/c of lupus is b/c estrogen is not good for a lupus patient. You should ask your doctor for a progesterone based contraceptive. Personally, I take the Depo-Provera shot and love it. I've been on it for 6 years and never have a period. The thing with the depo shot is that it either works and you love it or you might have to deal with some side effects for 3 months until it wears off and you try something different. Good luck in your search!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 12:59 AM   #3

hollieberrie HB User
Wink

I am taking Orth. Lo and as far as I know it works. But I am having terrible side effects of depression and mood changes. I feel like a crazy person. I was reading about it and it says that it can take years for it to stop working even after you quit taking it when you want to have babies. No thanks. I am talking to my husband about it in the morning to see if he cares if I stop taking it. We will let God be our birth control. As for the Depro shot everyone I know that has used that for birth control has gained major weight...Like 25-60lbs. So check it out first.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #4

Kagome HB User
Re: Birth control & Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOnTheHead
The reason you're being told not to take the pill b/c of lupus is b/c estrogen is not good for a lupus patient. You should ask your doctor for a progesterone based contraceptive. Personally, I take the Depo-Provera shot and love it. I've been on it for 6 years and never have a period. The thing with the depo shot is that it either works and you love it or you might have to deal with some side effects for 3 months until it wears off and you try something different. Good luck in your search!

I used to take Depo-Provera but that made me gain weight and totally killed my sex drive. I'm now on a BC pill called Jasmin. I like it better because it hasn't effected my weight and it hasn't completely killed my sex-drive like the Depo did. It doesn't seem to have any bad reaction to my SLE either. I never knew that the pill was not good for people with SLE......could I maybe get more info on why?

Closed Thread