It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2003, 10:57 AM   #1

Cadet Janice HB User
Angry Lupus/fibromyalgia causig chest pains???

I just spent 3 days in the hospital on the cardiac ward because of chest pains, I had every test run you can think of even a thalimine stress test (I cant do the treadmill) and all they came up with after all this misery and monitoring is that the luus or fibromyalgia is cauing inflamation in my chest where the ribs connect to my sternum. I also have been running a low grade fever for a while. They put me on potassium and I am home now, but I dn't have any real awnsers to wht caused this. Anyone else have chest pains an all the cardiac tests come back fine??

Old 07-20-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Yes, me too. I had the classic pain in the chest and running down
my arm, numbness and tingling. But, nothing showed up having
to do with heart. Lupus can be really weird. It can even affect blood vessels and cause them to spasm also a weird feeling.
I had that happen once too. Hang in there. I worry some day
I'll ignore a symptom and just blame it on Lupus and it will be
something else I should have had checked out! Hang in there.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

keystone206 HB User
At age 19 I went to the ER with chest pains and they determined then that it was an inflamation where the breastbone and ribs meet. It comes and goes. I usually get an episode a few times a year. I used to associate it with the weather, but have noticed now that it has nothing to do with it. I have not been diagnosed with Lupus, just checking for information.
Lynda

Old 07-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #4
Inactive

ginn26 HB User
please have your doctor do an ANCA test

Old 08-07-2003, 06:23 PM   #5

PureJoy HB User
You should have your doctor check you for Costochondritis. This is usually associated with lupus. It is inflammation of the costal (rib )cartilage at the sternum, the usual symptoms are chest pain, usually on the left side, numbness or tingling in arm, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, and rapid heartbeat during relaxation. I went to the doctor with all of these symptoms, including thickening of the tissue around my left breast near the middle of my chest. I didn't know whether to tell him I was having a heart attack, pneumonia, or breast cancer! But he tested me for all and concluded costochondritis.

Although I do not have lupus, I do have costochondritis. My mother-in-law, who has lupus, also has costochondritis. It seems to flare up with stress. I believe that I got it from trauma to the chest. Also, people who have had open heart surgery can get it. The usual treatment is with steriodal or non-steriodal anti-inflammatories. However, I do not trust prescription medicine, so I try to manage it with relaxation and bromelain, which is a natural anti-inflammatory derived from pineapple.

I hope that this helps you in some way. The strange thing is that I just put this condition on the suggestion board the other day. There is not much information about this out there. But, if you do have this, do not worry, it is pretty much harmless, just a nuisance at times.

Wishing you the best in health!

PJ

Closed Thread