It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 12:44 PM   #1

Rosarita HB User
Post Have Arthritis - Might Have Lupus!!!!!

Hi Everyone!

I need some help. I'm 41, mother of three and have DDD in my lower back and arthritis. I may possibly have it in my neck also. I've been ill or you may as well say out of sorts for approx 12 years. I'll feel good and then I'm really tired. Now I'm tired more than I feel good. It's hard to do anything and holding a job has been one of them. If I do a little housework today, I'll be wiped out for 3 or 4. This has really gotten on my nerves.

To top this all off, I had back surgery in April and was told I have arthritis. That explained a lot. The joints on both sides of my body hurts but the right side hurts more than the left. The docs are finally starting to listen. My new one is saying it could be Lupus or RA. Immune problems does run on my mother's side of the family. I've been riding this roller coaster for so many years. What should I insist he do if the blood work, etc., doesn't point to Lupus.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm tired of feeling so dang tired!!!

Rosa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
Don't count on the blood test confirming once and for all Lupus.
It doesn't always show up on a blood test. You don't say if you are
going to a reg. Dr or a rheumatologist. But you should go to the
rheumie if your reg. Dr doesn't find anything. If your symptoms
became worse after your surgery it could be Lupus. Lupus has
been known to flare up after a major surgery or accident. Any
trama to the body can cause it to go into overdrive, so to speak.
It may not be Lupus but it sounds like some kind of autoimmune
thing is going on. Rheumatoid Arthritis is in the auto immune family too.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #3

Rosarita HB User
Hi Denise and thanks for your response. I'm sorry I neglected to say I went to an Internal Med doctor. My entire life I've been plagued with allergies and for several years I was under the care of an allergist. My symptoms seemed to have gotten better but then all of a sudden I started going downhill again.

I do have cousins on my mom's side that have different immune diseases. One cousin has RA and three, as far as I know, defintely have immune diseases. I'm not sure which ones. Sometimes I think I'm still tired from when the kids were little and my baby is 12!

Does this sound familiar...mop the floor, take a nap? Vaccuum the floor, take a nap?

I'll push for a rheumy if he doesn't come up with anything. Thanx again!

Rosa

Old 08-19-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi, Rosa,

I'm 52 and was diagnosed with lupus 4 years ago. Fatigue is definitely a huge symptom with lupus. Fatigue so profound that it is like one night's sleep is often not enough.

I, too, recommend a rheumatologist because their speciality is arthritis. That's also the major complication most lupus patients have. I get the best care and most understanding from a rheumie. A rheumie does not replace your regular doctor, but is an additional doctor for caring for the arthritis or the arthritis from immune system problems - lupus or whatever.

If you were in Waco, I'd recommend the best rheumie in the world!

I wish you well! Barbara

Closed Thread