It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 12:37 AM   #1

kattknipp HB User
Post I have a high ANA but have been dx with MS

I was just browsing the web - looking for the rash that goes with lupus. I clean house every Sat. night - and when I get heated up, I always get this rash on my face - mostly on the forehead but tonight it was scattered! I have tested positive with a high ANA since Feb. 2002 (actually that is the FIRST time I was ever given that type of test - so go figure) but my ANA is always 1:360 but has been as high as 1:1280. My GP seemed to think all this time I had lupus but at one point thought I might also have MS. I found a MS neurologist, went to him and I DO have MS. I still think I might have lupus, too, from all the symptoms I have and from what I have been reading on here tonight. I am only 52 - so mine may or may not be from age - but I have had ALL the symptoms - aching joints, Reynauld's syndrome, etc. I have been to three rheumatolgists that merely laughed at me and said ALL I have is fibromyalgia (like I really wanted lupus!) and several other drs. - who liked the idea of fibromyalgia. Even tho I have been diagnosed with MS, I still think more is going on here.

Linda

------------------
Miracles happen to those who believe!

Old 08-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #2

shasha HB User
hi linda,
im 38 and have been diag. with sle lupus since feb.
it took me about a yr. and half for diag.
i started out at a nuero. after several visits she said its possible i have ms. she also told me that some docs believe there is a ms/lupus type disease and she thought that this was a possibility for me.
she finally sent me to a lupus rhumy and i was diag. with sle lupus. i usually have an ana of 1:360.
i also have raynaunds, carpal tunnel, arthritis, a butterfly rash that comes and goes with activity or flares, peripheral neuropathy and a few other not so fun stuff.

my rhumy still thinks i might also have ms which is possible but, i know there are alot of other diseases like periperal nueropathy. ( causing numbness, tingling,pain) which can mimmic ms.

i personally will continue to reseach is much as i can and hope if i do also have ms that it will show up finally in an mri so i can get med for it.

i hope this helped a little.
i wish you the best of luck!
sha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hello,

I think you are correct in assuming that there is more going on with you! There is something called Antiphospholipid Syndrome (Hughes Syndrome) in people with Lupus that can cause "MS like" disease. I do understand that you are not diagnosed with Lupus, but I think with the Positive ANA and the symptoms that perhaps you have it! Have you ever had your antiphospholipids and anticardiolipins tested in your blood? These would definitely tell the difference between MS and Hughes Syndrome. I think you need to see a Rheumatologist that specializes in Lupus specifically! Hughes Syndrome is so odd because it cna totally mimik MS even in what it shows on MRI. Hope this helps you and if you want more information please let me know. I would definitely go back to your GP armed with information regarding Hughes Syndrome and see if you can get an appt with a Rheumy that specializes in treating Lupus patients. Take care!

AngelicBrat

Closed Thread