It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 09:48 PM   #1

Megan31 HB User
Question Mouth sores

I'm 21 yrs old, diagnosed 3 yrs ago. What can anyone tell me about flare ups consisting of mouth sores? In February, I came down with an AWFUL case of mouth sores... all over the inside of my mouth and some bumps on my lips as well. It was very painful to eat and terrible to look at. I saw a doctor, they did a culture, gave me Famvir, and said it was some type of viral infection. Then in May I started to feel a bump form on the inside, middle of my bottom lip. This was in the middle of the week full of stress. I left school and visited home. A day later, I noticed the bump was gone. I am enrolled full time in classes for the summer, and am taking an intensive writing course... TONS of stress. On Wednesday I could feel the sore forming as I worked on the numerous papers due on Thursday... by Thurs night the bump was fully grown and UGLY. I have been using Banadyne and taking Prednisone as needed for the sores (as recommended by my rheumy). I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to get rid of these unsightly things quickly. It not only is very uncomfortable but makes me feel extremely insecure that everyone is staring at it... I realize that the pattern is that they develop when I am involved in stressful situations, i.e., lots of schoolwork, exams, etc, but I cannot continue to live like this I have 1 1/2 yrs of school left!! What else can I do?? THank you!

[This message has been edited by Megan31 (edited 07-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 01:55 AM   #2

greeneyedcat HB User
Hello. I too have mouth ulcers on occasion and usually they are caused by stress. You may ask your doctor about Elavil it will help your stress and it has many other benefits for lupus sufferers, like reduced pain and better sleep. For the ulcers on your face, not the ones in your mouth, try tea tree oil. Try to find it at a health food store in a lip balm. Just slather it on throughout the day. If you can't find tea tree oil carmex will do. I hope this helps. Good luck with school.

[This message has been edited by greeneyedcat (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-29-2003, 02:41 PM   #3

sandrasue11 HB User
Hope this helps. I was dx in 99 and have had trouble with sores in my mouth and nose for years even before then. A friend suggested I try a vitamin L-lysine and it has helped a great deal. I take one a day and three to four when I am really stressed. My doc prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste for when the sores get really bad and it does work taste terrible but better than having the sores.
Good luck SS

Closed Thread