It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

Bookkeeping73 HB User
Lightbulb Confused & Medicated #2

Thank you all for your help.. I have a question and hope someone can help.. Last week my doctor started me on Prednisone and said it would only work if the pain in my muscles was caused by the Lupus. Well it worked, so is it true that if it was fybromialgia causing the pain instead of the lupus the meds wouldnt have helped?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

pearless HB User
Re: Confused & Medicated #2

fibro can be caused from lupus as a secondary condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Confused & Medicated #2

Hiya Bk73

I speak as a patient with SLE for over 30 years and not as a medical doctor.

deleted

To answer your question about prednisone helping with fibro, it is not normally used for this condition. If you had an underlying medical problem that would usually be treated with and respond to prednisone, then it might make the pain and stiffness lessen, therefore giving your body overall relief from pain and helping to alleviate the problems caused by fibro.

All in all though it was undoubtedly because you have lupus that the steroids worked in easing your muscle problems.

Hope this helps answer your question. If I can give you any further assistance, please let me know. Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by Administrator; 06-12-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: don't post your opinion as fact. Only post as your own opinion.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Bookkeeping73, good morning. Have you been formally diagnosed with lupus? I'm only wondering that because drs. sometimes call for a so-called "steroid challenge" to see if steroids abate symptoms. Thing is, steroids also improve symptoms of *various* autoimmunes that are "close cousins" of lupus, such as rheumatoid arthritis, polymyositis, mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD), etc. While symptoms do overlap quite a bit in these "close cousins", each has unique features and its own diagnostic criteria.

... for what this is worth! In any event, I hope that you're feeling better & that more knowledge is gained from your taking the Prednisone. Warm wishes, Vee

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

Bookkeeping73 HB User

Thanks Everyone.. It turns out I do have Lupus and now I am trying to think positive.. The prednisone helped alot, do I have to take it for the rest of my life?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Bookkeeping, steroids can cause many side effects; and those are unpredictable, meaning things are going swimmingly, then not... For that reason, I *think* drs. try to limit usage to amount/duration that's absolutely needed.

I just reread your May posts & saw that you can't take NSAID's because you're on a blood thinner, that you've had pulmonary embolisms, and that you're already on an immune suppressant. When I posted earlier, I hadn't rechecked your earlier info, but just did so now---so sorry!

Dr. Daniel Wallace discusses Prednisone at length in his lupus hardcover, available in most libraries. Maybe you could borrow it, take notes, then ask your dr. for a fuller explanation? I definitely would, if I were you. Please let us know how you're doing, when you have time, that is. All my best to you, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 06-12-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: corrections & spelling

Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: Confused & Medicated #2

Hiya Bk73,

In some cases a course of steroids for a short time does the trick in bringing the inflammation under 'control'. It will give you pain relief and after the doctors have looked into everything to do with your conditon that pertains just to you - remember lupus can affect us all differently - they can then look into what medications are suitable in their opinion for you.

A lot of patients do definitely benefit from a short course of steroids, but it does not mean that they have to take them permanently.

I have been taking steroids for all of the time I have had SLE which is over 30 years, every day in enormous amounts to start with and reducing them down over the years. If I am feeling really unwell though, I control my intake and take whatever amount will make me feel better.

The thing is though in my case when I was 16 and diagnosed, steroids were the medication that was widely used for lots of chronic conditions. It saved my life and I am so grateful for my parents for agreeing to my taking it.

There really weren't the medications then as there are now. That was me though and that was then. Things have come on in leaps and bounds, and the range of medications and treatment now is amazing.

No doctor would - or should - keep you on steroids unnecessarily, so if you have any doubts about taking them - after all it is your body - then speak to them about it, voice your concerns and if you are really uncertain ask about alternative medications.

Sorry to have gone on but I do want you to be aware of things. So to answer your question, no it does not necessarily have to mean you will take steroids for the rest of your life. (Got there in the end hee hee)!!

Take care,

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 06-12-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
(female)

pearless HB User

[[[ this comment removed by the moderator]]]]

Fibro can be caused by lupus. Look it up. Then ask your rheumatologist.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-12-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: do not quote, discuss or debate the replies of others - it is disallowed cross talk - reply to the thread starter

Closed Thread