It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 08:55 AM   #1

muck_mind HB User
Post looking for lupus answers

I am male 39, and was recently told I have lupus.
(I think I am in denial) I am constantly tired, and extremely sore all over particularly in joints, I have a lot of days where I am completely lost in this mental fog. I also have a lot of bowel movment problems such as extreme need to go all of a sudden almost like diahrea (sorry kinda gross). I do not however get any of the rashes associated with lupus. Do these sound like the symptoms of lupus? and are the face rashes still to come?

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hey there.

The thing with lupus is that it's likely a whole bunch of different diseases that are grouped under the umbrella of lupus.

the way it works is that there are 11 groups of symptoms that are associated with lupus, and if you have 4 of the 11, you are considered to have lupus. If you have only 3 symptoms, does that mean that you don't have lupus? Yes and no...it's still possible that you have lupus, but just aren't showing all of the symptoms.

Anyway, the 11 symptoms are as follows:

Discoid rash

Malar rash (the one on the face)

arthritis

serositis (inflammation of the coverings of organs usually lungs and heart, which translates to chest pain)

neurological symptoms (like brain fog, confusion, seizures)

kidney disease (very common)

photosensitivity

mouth ulcers

blood disorder (hemolytic anemia, or low white blood cell count)

Immunological disorder (positive lupus markers in blood)

postive ANA test. (anti-nuclear antibody)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #3

LUPIEME HB User
RE:<<I also have a lot of bowel movment problems such as extreme need to go all of a sudden almost like *diahrea*(sorry kinda gross).>>

That was one of my main symptoms, I would have terrible stomach cramps, mainly after eating , that wouldnt go away unless ( *the kind of gross* ) LOL..

After test, I was told that I had mesenteric vasculitus, which means the blood vessels in my bowels were damaged by inflamation caused by the lupus..

------------------
SLE,RENAL/MESENTERIC VASCULITUS SINCE 98

Old 09-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #4

mamu710 HB User
Hi all,
I'm new here and wondering. What are the tests that they do for Lupus? I have been going through a lot of stuff for a year or so with no diagnosis. I do have an Immune deficiency, have the some bowel problems, at times my jounts ache (right now they haven't been terrible) fatigue! and one nodule under the skin in my upper thigh, I have had mouth ulcers this year 3 or 4 that take forever to go away. I was told for 4 months that I had a pituitary tumor that turned out I didn't. I have a cough and chest pain. I think taht covers it. Whew! I'm a mess! Anyway... I was wondering if I should stop putting off a trip to the rheumatologist? Is that who dianoses Lupus?
Any suggestions? Thanks! mamu710

Old 09-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #5

angela12ca HB User
Hi,

Lupus is difficult to dx and for many it takes yrs to come to dx. Blood work is not the only factor taken into consideration. ANA is probably the first test done as it is positive in most cases. However if it is possitive it does not necessarily mean its lupus but it aides in dx. There are about 4 % of cases of lupus that are ana negative. Other blood screening is usually ena panel that consists of anti ro, anti la, anti jo,, ect... then antidsdna is done along with complements. then they also look at cbc for low white counts or anemia. and also sed rate c-reactive protein and anticardiolipin antibody. Chest xray, and urinalysis, are also usually done. And then a few other blood tests which i cant remember off the top of my head. They then take lab work and symptoms and determine if you meet the criteria for dx of sle or another problem. The rheumy is the best one to see however make sure they are experience in dx and tx lupus as some specialize in theses areas. Yes I think you should not hold off seeing someone as this is your health and longer you wait for tx the more advance symp may get. Hope this is of some help to you.
Any other quest feel free to post and ill try to be of some help
Angela12ca

Old 09-05-2003, 12:52 PM   #6

mamu710 HB User
Smile

Angela12ca
Thanks for the info. I will probably make an appointment soon. My gp suggeseted I go a while ago but I had so many other problems I haven't had a chance. I just now found out I have a urinary track infection. Like I don't have enough going on. She is also sending me to a sleep clinic and a pulmonary dr for my cough. I found out from another post that I should probalbly see a gastro guy to rule out gerd. I have an appointment with a hematologist for my IgA deficiency. I will probably have to go for 1 4 hour infusion for that. ...somewhere in between I also have to work. Anyway...thanks again! It I like to make sure I'm up on things before I go in.
Sorry for the venting. I am just a little tired.

Closed Thread