It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 05:58 PM   #1

MIKES MOM HB User
Post MY SON HAS LUPUS AFTER AUTO ACCIDENT

MY 17 YEAR OLD SON WAS CUT OFF BY A VERY ELDERLY MAN THE MAN TURNED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HIS CAR.MY SON RECIEVED STITCHES TO THE ENTIRE INSIDE OF HIS MOUTH HIS TOP TEETH LITERALLY WENT IN AND THROUGH THE OUTSIDE OF HIS CHIN,HE IS NOT SURE WHETHER HE HIT HIS HEAD OR NOT.HE WAS PUT ON CLYNDAMYCIN FOR 10 DAYS A PERCAUTION HE OBVIOUSLY DIDNT EAT ANY REAL FOOD FOR ABOUT 10 DAYS.HE THEN STARTED TO SEE SILVER STARS OUT OF THE BLUE SO I TOOK HIM TO THE EYE DR, WHO SAID THAT HIS MUSCLES IN THE EYE LOOKED A BIT SWOLLEN AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE PRESSURE HE PUT ON HIS FACE DURING THE ACCIDENT.ABOUT A WEEK LATER HE WAS AT THE PEDIATRICIAN DUE TO A LOW GRADE FEVER SHE INFORMED US HE HAD STREO THROAT AND OUT HIM ON CEPHADROXIL FOR 4 OR SO DAYS HIS FEVER WAS 103-104 HE THEN COULDNT EVEN SPEAK BECAUSE OF THE PAIN IN HIS MOUTH WE THOUGHT HE HAD AN INFECTION FROM THE STITCHES THAT WAS CAUSING ALL THIS.WELL THEY ADMITTED HIM FOR 8 DAYS THEY GAVE HIM NO MED AND NO IV BECAUSE THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON WITH HIM HE THEN GOT THE "BUTTERFLY RASH "AND THE PAIN IN THE MOUTH THEY SAID WERE ULCERS AND FINALLY AFTER 9 DAYS OF HELL AND HE WAS 18 POUNDS LIGHTER WE WERE TOLD EVERY TEST WAS 100% POSITIVE FOR LUPUS.HE HAS BEEN ON 60MGS PREDNISONE AND IT HAS CAUSED PHYCHOSIS ACCORDING TO MY RESEARCH THERE ARE 24 CASES IN THE 5 BOROUGHS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOTTEN LUPUS AFTER A SEVERE TRAUMA, IS ANYONE FAMILAR WITH THIS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
So, sorry about your son. I have heard of Lupus popping up
after an accident. The accident however is not the cause, just
a trigger for a tendency he already had. Anything that brings
trauma to the body also stirs up the immune system. In people
with Lupus the immune system sometimes goes into over drive.
My lupus popped up out of the blue one day after getting too
much sun. A lot of people with lupus are sun sensitive also.
Even though I didn't know I had it until then I realize there
were mild signs for years that could always be explained away.
No one knows why Lupus can come and go like it does. I hope your son gets better soon. But he will have to take good care of
himself even when he feels normal again. Read as much about
Lupus as you can especially the alternative treatments.

------------------

Old 09-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #3

Azurite HB User
Hi Mike's Mom
This is so sad, and only 17.....now there are cases of Lupus being induced by meds as well but they say that if it is induced from a medication that it should clear after the med is stopped...however, I am skeptical on that issue.
However, I do agree with Denise about being predisposed and a trigger uncovering it. It could have been the trauma that made the Lupus flare up and make it's ugly face known. I had 3 C-sections by the time I was 23, the third one threw me into a year long illness that ended up with a complete hysterectomy and a diagnosis of Lupus...but as Denise said, all those subtle things years prior that never seemed quite normal had a reason. As for the prednisone, I am allergic to prednisone and can't take it even if I ever feel the need to, I was on it for a short spurt for pluerisy but it shut my system down so severe I couldn't lift my head off my pillow...I called the doc and they said go off it immediately. Look into diet and nutrition, specifically the vegan diet.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #4

Azurite HB User
Mike's Mom,
One other thing, vegan doesn't support any animal protein at all, but I recommend eggs so long as there is not a known allergen to it and thought I should tell you that if you look into it. I use organic eggs and get good protein from them, fried in coconut oil with fresh garlic, green peppers and onions is really great and good to the body. Also peanut butter or almond butter or any of the nut butters without any added sugars. The almond butter is by far the best of all of them. Start to slowly take him off things and then re-intro to get a better idea of what in his diet his body is not liking. Sometimes it is easy to start with removing dairy first, it is usually a huge culprit in the scheme of things. It should take a good three to four weeks before you see any real difference and he may experience some low points where he craves the particular food that is normal but not to give in to it as it passes. Common things to look into are wheat/gluten, dairy, meats, definitely sugar of the white sort!! Organic sugar is a good alternative and is very very good, much better than white sugar!!! Carob in place of chocolate too....be careful of soy milk though as it has a thickener in it that could cause trouble...otherwise any other soy products are great. There are many vegan products on the market besides fresh fruits and veggies that are really good...let me see,the Tequitas....not sure the brand but they have pinto beans and soy in them, all organic with organic corn toritlla wraps, very good...I'm thinking this age he is at is a very tough one for food so it may take some time to acclimate him to a new style of eating but I am certain this will help him feel so much better. Homemade ginger bread/cake is an excellent source of nutrition and a good treat so long as you use blackstrap molasses to make them. The thing with Lupus is it takes extra effort in these areas but at some point it becomes very simple because it's a way of life you adopt....and it is well worth it.
Looking forward to hear more about how Mike is doing. Take care and him too. ;-)

Closed Thread