It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #1

Jessica618 HB User
Post Memory loss

Help!! I can't remember things the way I used to. I have noticed a steady decline over the last few years and it's becoming a real problem for me. I wonder if anyone else has this problem and what they do about it or what causes it. Are there any medications that help it? And, what are those "white spots" on the brain that I've read about? Also, my hands tremble most of the time so I'm also wondering what the liklihood of this crossing over with MS could be???? Any information would be so helpful to me. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Jessica,
The white spots on my MRI are active, growing lesions which can be associated with lupus (vasculitis) or MS. My dr. told me that it is highly unlikely to have both lupus and MS, although the symptoms can be quite similar. Since I know I have systemic lupus, the white spots are probably related to the lupus. On the side of caution, I am being tested for MS, having had several nerve tests done. Will have the results within a week. If you're worried about the possiblility of MS, you should talk to a neurologist about your hands trembling and memory loss. These are symptoms of MS. If you've been diagnosed with lupus, then your rheumy will follow you. I have a terrific team of doctors that all stay in touch with eachother. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

FLBucki HB User
Re: Memory loss

Great reply post, but I have another take on it. Daughter also suffers from a memory loss after her initial bout of lupus a year ago. Curiously, she couldn't remember some of her times tables (she was teaching times tables to another child at age 4!), yet retained the ability to do calculus at age 16!!! It is sooooo weird. Had to re-learn what she forgot. Also forgot acquaintances names, and sometimes places, and the "I don't know where I know you from..." syndrome.
Anyhow, her MRI's always come up clean. I am currently pushing for a PET scan for bloodflow problems. I have been pushing for this test since November. Anyhow, add to the mix she too has some small hand tremors. Was told by the neuro and the rheumy this might be peripheral nerve damage and may/may not improve.
So, you might be in the same boat as my child. It doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution, however, and take extra tests. I would if I were in your place, and I would ask about the PET and do some internet research. Good luck to ya!

Closed Thread