It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 02:51 AM   #1

squirrel7 HB User
Question lupus and birth control pills

Hi, I just discovered this site and I wanted to ask a question. I am 24 years old I was diagnosed with lupus at age 18. my symptoms include severe joint pain and fatigue, also some sun sensitivity. When I became pregnant (my son is almost two)and stopped taking birth control my lupus went into remission and I was able to quit taking all medications. For the most part I have enjoyed a normal life almost symptom free since that time. However I have tried twice to get back on birth control and both times it has sent me into a flare up. My doctors seem to have no comment on this side. Has anyone else had a similiar experience if so do you have any sugestions? Thanks

Old 10-03-2003, 06:56 PM   #2

Cadet Janice HB User
Have you tried diffrent brands? SOmetimes that can help. I had trouble going on the pill after my 1st child was born but I did end up doing ok on a diffrent brand. I can't remember what it was I have been off BC since my son was born 2 yrs ago, I had my tubes tied at that time.

Good Luck.
Janice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2003, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hello squirrel

I think I may have an answer to this one for you. Having Lupus, you probably know that any change to someone's body can cause a flare, in different people they can be different changes. These can include weather changes, body changes (in weight etc) and even pregnancy. Your homones change totally when you are pregnant, and thankfully you went into remission! What I think may be happening with you is that your body is still trying to normalize after the pregnancy (I realize it has been 2 years though!). When you go onto the pill, it will try and play around with your hormones, and perhaps coming off of it was what put you into remission, along with being pregnant. After being pregnant, your body may not like the fact that your trying to give it a foreign drug again, and is rebelling by making you flare. You could try some low dose birth control pills or if these don't work then maybe it isn't worth playing with if its sending you into flares. I can't take the pill because of the havoc it causes with my Lupus. I hope this helps!!

Angelic

Closed Thread