It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2003, 06:42 AM   #1

PennyKandy HB User
Post Anyone get LASIK

I don't have a definate diagnosis yet. Probably Rheumatoid Arthritis or Lupus. I am scheduled to get lasik done. They say you may not be able to have it if you have these conditions. I also am supposed to be starting plaquenil, but have postponed starting it because of the Lasik. Just wondering if any of you have had it done, or were told you couldn't get it. I did not tell the Lasik docs about the RA or Lupus because I was afraid they would say no. I did some research about it and found out it is usually because of the meds that you can't have the surgery. Any input?

thanks

Old 09-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #2

vrie HB User
I have had lasik and I have relatives with lupus. I remember the health ?aire mentioned sjogrens. When i said something about that, the nurses nearly flipped out that I may have sjogrens when it is really my mother that does. Obviously from their reaction, sjogrens and lasik is a big NO-NO! I can see why. Anyway, it took me a few minutes to reassure them that I didn't have it.

You might want to call a different center as if you were scheduling an appointmant for evaluation and mention lupus. Maybe they'd give a reaction that would give you answers.

Also, do be careful. Some places honestly do approve people that they shouldn't. With a health history, maybe you should go as far as scheduling two or more evaluations with different centers.

Anyway, good luck. LASIK is wonderful when it works!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
My dr. strongly advised against Lasik surgery as I'd have to stop my coumadin for several days and that would be life-threatening. You may have a different situation altogether. I wish I could do it. Check with your dr. first.

Closed Thread