It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Question Does anyone know the answer to this?

I am trying to get answers, these are the facts:

I have systemic lupus.
I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (APS-severe clotting).
I have white lesions in my brain.
I've had open-heart surgery and, as of this week, evidence that a clot had formed behind my eye (small stroke), leaving it permanently affected. I am awaiting results of nerve testing for MS as I'm displaying many symptoms. Was told APS and MS symptoms overlap and is difficult to distinguish between the two. MRI for lesions is identical in both disorders. Aside from the usual test for antibodies, how would a conclusive diagnosis be made for MS? I am only 43, need answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hello!

Have you had a spinal tap done?
The reason I ask this question is because in order for them to tell if you do have "true" MS, something called Oligoclonal bands will be found in your cerebral spinal fluid if you do have MS. I do not believe that these will show in APS patients. You are correct when you said that the lesions are very similar in both MS and APS. Hope this helps!

Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2003, 04:36 AM   #3
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Angelic,Thank you for responding to my post. My neurologist is insisting I have a spinal tap, but I"m putting it off as a last resort. I've had them done years ago and they were horrific! If the nerve test come out bad, I will have no choice but to have a spinal done,. Thanks again.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi Sampy!

No problem at all I have abnormal EMG studies, showing neuropathy and all sorts of fun things, mostly because of my APS. I don't think he can diagnose MS unless you do have bands in the CSF, and if you haven't had them before lets hope you won't have them now! I HATE Spinal taps too, I have had 4 so far because they assumed I had MS because of my symptoms. If you want to rule out the MS completely, you should probably go for the spinal tap, as much as they do suck!!!

Angelic

Closed Thread