It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post Borderline ANA ...should I do anything

I went to Neuro for bad headaches, possible migraines. For some reason she decided to run ANA and lipid liver function tests. ANA came up at borderline at 1:80. Should I go to a rhematologist for further testing or just let it go? THe neuro said the ANA could be from my having adrenal insufficiency... but that doesn't make sense... as CAH(what I have) is a deformity of the adrenals and not an autoimmune problem. I have long thought I have Hashimoto's disease, but the thyroid antibodies tests both came back negative. What's the chances Hashis would show up on ANA? I was diagnosed 18 months ago with hypothyroid....take medication for it but my TSH goes up and down on the same dose for 10 months! I have had fibro-like pains in past like 12 yrs ago in early 20's I was in a great deal of pain. WEnt to a rhem in another state & was told it "is just fibro honey, so quit complaining there's nothing we can do for you". After I got on thyroid meds all the aches stopped until last two months where the leg I broke last summer now hurts whenever its damp or cold. So in other words, I don't know as I have any valid symptoms of lupus..not sure what to do. The neuro who did test just blew it off. The dr I see for thyroid I won't see for another month.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hello Angela!

I just grit my teeth everytime someone tells me that they have been "written off" as having Fibro!!! Lots of the time, people with Lupus get passed off as having Fibro, when really Fibromyaligia means Muscle pain! Sheesh. That being said, have you ever looked at the criteria used to diagnose Lupus? If you want me to post it, I can do that for sure. You can also check under Google and type in 11 Criteria to diagnose Lupus. It does sound like you may have something autoimmune going on. I do think that Hashimoto's can show on an ANA though, so maybe that is why it is positive. There is a small population of people that have a positive ANA with no autoimmune problems. You do sound like you have something going on though! Good luck with your appt, and I bet that the ANA is linked to the thyroid. You can have a few autoimmune diseases at the same time too! Did your Neurologist test your "anticardiolipins" and "antiphospholipids" because those can be positive if you have Antiphospholipid Syndrome (Hughes Syndrome). One of the major complaints with Hughes Syndrome is migraine. Type that in google too and have a peek Take care!!

Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi,

When I was diagnosed with "probable lupus" 4 years ago, my ANA was "slightly positive" at 1:40. My rheumy said normal is 1:39 or lower. I was retested 6 weeks later and my ANA was 1:600. I'd left "slightly" way behind. I recommend having your ANA rechecked in 6 or 8 weeks and look up the other typical symptoms of lupus.

Good luck! Barbara

Old 10-08-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Thanks for responding to my question. Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you; things have been hectic lately. I didn't have any of those other tests done that you mentioned. I read my lab sheet again and now confused why the neuro was babling about Lupus. The antibodies showed up in the centromere pattern which the lab sheets says is for PSS w/CREST syndrome. I read up on that and only symptoms related that I have is the cold hands and feet which might could be Raynaud's, but which I always blamed on thyroid cause it was low.

To make things more complicated I just got results back on another test which seem to confirm adrenal hyperplaisa. I called the internal med docs and the one rheumatologist in town to see if anyone sees people with antibodies or adrenal problems. None of them take my insurance. So I'm up the creek without a paddle...

Old 10-09-2003, 09:45 AM   #5

design_eye HB User
I was also tested ANA borderline but I understand it can change each time you are tested. I don't exactly have any of the lupus symptoms (I wanted to test b/c my mother had SLE).

You could go see a rheumy, just to talk to him and cover your bases.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Unfortunately I just found out there is only one rheumatologist in town and he does not accept my insurance. I checked for internal med docs and all of them are also in same practice which the rheumy none of them accept my insurance. So I have either my naturopath or my ob/gyn who can order the tests, but not sure how much they will be able to help me. I just pray we get a different insurance plan this coming year.

Closed Thread