It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question Sjroden's Syndrome?

Does anyone know about this syndrome and how it is treated?

Old 10-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #2

Carlaschill HB User
Hi,
I have this and they are treating me with plaquil(sp).I have been tested for Lupus but at this point we are saying I have Sjorgens. Doesn't really matter what they call it both are treat pretty much the same. My Dr. said she won't be suprised if my blood work at sometime shows Lupus. I have been really tired and sore joints. I went threw a time of losing my hair but now that has stopped.Thank God!!I don't have the dry eyes but have lost alot of teeth. Now they say that Sjorgens is to blame. I take advil only for the pain. I take about 12 aday. I'm really doing alot better than I was a few months ago.
hang in there,
Carla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
HI
Thanks for the info my mom was just diagnosed with this.
She is on plaquenil also

Old 11-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Mara

Sjogrens

I have that and it's treated symptomatically. It's mostly known for the affect of dry eyes and dry mouth.
I use assorted preservative free drops and lubricants that help to sooth the eyes and had punctal plugs inserted by my eye doctor a couple years after having the condition dx'd. They help to keep the tears in the eye longer. I take Salagen for the dry mouth. It helps. Reduced saliva in the mouth can cause cavities. A dentist can put a protective coating on the teeth to avoid this damage. Limit sugars. It is useful to avoid mouthwash with alcohol (drying). There are products that are made specific to dry mouth and dry eye and it's listed on the label.

Last edited by Gemi; 11-17-2003 at 01:54 PM.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hey Deb!

These guys have summed it up quite nicely. Sjogrens (pronounced Show-grens) syndrome is a dry problem that can occur in the eyes, nose, mouth, vagina area, etc. Pretty much anywhere that can get dry does! Not very fun. Some people get plugs put in there eyes (like Gemi said above) and others can get away with eye drops, mouth lubricants, and saline nose spray. I have Sjogrens too, it doesn't seem to bother me that much other than I need the eye drops frequently, especially in the morning! It feels like pins are poking in my eyes when I wake up! Your mom has the blood work for Sjogrens Syndrome, which I am glad that the Rheumy noticed and is treating this. I would see how dry her eyes and all that are, and see what kind of treatment would be best. Plaquenil does seem to help it too! It is a VERY symptomatic syndrome- every person is different! Does your mom complain of itchy dry eyes etc? I find that I always need to be drinking something because my mouth gets so pasty if I don't. Also- I have to add that Sjogren's can cause break down of the teeth too. I have 2 teeth that have chipped off recently because of my Sjogrens. Saliva is the defence for the teeth, and without a good supply of it the teeth break down. Ucky! Anyway.. take care

~Luv, Dana

Old 11-19-2003, 03:47 PM   #6

terijlibby HB User
Sjogren's

Hello
Sjogrens can make you very dry, drink lots of fluids.. Teri

Closed Thread