It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 10:00 AM   #1

ADDY1234 HB User
Question VISUAL DISTURBANCES

Thanks for the replys on my first post. Since then, I have been experiencing something that is beginning to make me a little scared. I have had 4 episodes of seeing "half of a sunburst" in my left vision field. It makes things look like it does when heat rises off of something like the pavement. It reminds me of colors you see when looking through one of those kids toys. It only lasts about 20 minutes or so and leaves me even more tired than i already am. The only thing that happens when I have had one of those is I get really dizzy and neauseated (sp?) but I don't have a headache with it or after it, just a feeling of fullness in my head. Could this be something related to lupus and should I contact my doctor? My family doctor is still in search of what is wrong with me and now I have this going on. I haven't called him because it seems that I am always at the doctor's office, I know they say "her again?". I guess what I am wondering is could this be lupus related? Or are my doc and I both on the wrong track. I go back for another antibody panel in November and I have prednisone to take as needed until then. Short background: +ebv, +ana, +tgb antibodies, +tpo antibodies, elevated sed rate, elevated dhea level, fatigue, joint pain, rash across cheeks and swollen eyes. Thanks so much, any and all advice or insight is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 10:29 AM   #2

PennyKandy HB User
Not sure if it is lupus related or not, but here is what my eye doctor said....It is basically a migraine without the headache. I get the same thing but no headache. Lasts about 20 minutes, flashing colors, then it goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2003, 04:33 AM   #3
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
I know EXACTLY what they are. These are ocular migraines and I get at least 3 of them every month.

Old 09-30-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Hi,

I have lupus, but have had migraines occasionally since I was 19 (long ago). My migraines usually start with the visual disturbance you described - sometimes it looks like the wavy air over a fire, sometimes one side of my field of vision is affected, sometimes the other and sometimes it's the center of my field of vision. If I can take one pill with Codeine and sleep for 2 hours, I don't get the headache.

Talk to your doctor - Barbara

Old 10-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Exclamation

Don't just dismiss ocular migraines, as I have. I just found out that I had a stroke as a blood clot settled in my eye. I just found this out last night. Please read my post about the antiphospoholipid syndrome.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
I totally 100% agree about looking at Antiphospholipid Syndrome (Also known as Hughes Syndrome, or sticky blood) as a cause of these visual disturbances. I have Optic Neuritis in both eyes due to APS, and had major visual changes such as what you described. I would suggest going to an Opthamologist to get your eyes checked out to make sure there are no clots or inflammation.

Angelic

Old 10-06-2003, 06:26 AM   #7

ADDY1234 HB User
Is there a test that can be run for the "sticky blood"? I went to my eye doctor after the first episode and he found nothing abnormal in my exam except that my prescription needed to be stronger for my glasses. I have an appointment with my doc coming up soon and if there is a test for that, I will ask for it. He is going to recheck my ana and thyroid. Is it possible to have complications from these visual things event though I don't get the headache? Could this be what is making me have dizzy spells?

Old 10-06-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Lightbulb

Addy,
I don't get the headaches either, just the visual disturbances. Ask your primary or rheumy to test for lupus and antiphospholipid antibodies. He'll know exactly which tests to do. Also, I had just one bout of severe vertigo and vomiting. Definitely worth checking it out as lupus and APS can go hand in hand. Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:59 PM   #9

Airmid HB User
Addy, what you're describing sounds alot like TIA's, Transient Ischemic Attacks, they are a possible precursor to stroke. You should report everything that happens, every time, to your doctor. Your paying him, and if a nurse or receptionist wants to roll their eyes because they think you call or come in to often, so be it. I had several TIAs for 14 months before I had a stroke at 36 and I've been on aspirin therapy since, I'm 45 now. The neurologist was getting nuts trying to figure out why a 36 year old woman has a stroke. I had 9 negative Lupus tests, after various symptoms came up. I finally came up positive after having pleurisy 3 months in a row. Point is, take everything to your doctor, keep lists of symptoms, so you remember, write down the dates and times if you can. You are paying him for his services, he/she is there to help you. Don't take a chance on having something critical happen.

Blessed Be
Airmid

Old 10-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #10

ADDY1234 HB User
I am going to ask for those tests. I did some research online - although I try not to do too much - some of the stuff is really scary - but has anyone had the new test for lupus that had been approved? I can't remember exactly what it was called but it is a test against a protien that is found in lupus patients. I'm thinking maybe I should ask for that and see if it can speed up finding out what is wrong with me? Thanks for the input!
Addy

Closed Thread