It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2003, 08:33 PM   #1

quiksilver89x HB User
Question anti ds-dna ase

I remember having a blood test done a while ago when I was being worked up for something else, and the test said something about being positive for anti ds-DNA ase, and I know this is an antinuclear antibody, but does it mean that I'm going to get lupus at some time in my life? Or does it just mean that I had inflammation or something? My aunt has lupus, scleroderma, and basically every autoimmune disease one could think of...

I forgot to mention that I currently have no symptoms besides occasional hip pain, and knee pain that has been diagnosed as patellofemoral stress syndrome. I have a rash on my arm that breaks out when exposed to light, but I think that's just eczema.

[This message has been edited by quiksilver89x (edited 10-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by quiksilver89x (edited 10-22-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi quiksilver89x,

Were you positive for the Anti-Dna test? The Anti-DNA test is specific to Lupus, in patients it is over 90% accurate in detecting the more severe type of Lupus that causes more organ involvement. If you were positive for this test, and don't have symptoms it doesn't mean that its all together false positive. You can go on to develop Lupus. But in a very very small percentage it can be false positive. Since you are having rashes, I would just watch for other symptoms that are criteria for Lupus. Since your rash flares up with light, it can be related to Lupus. Many of us get rashes from the sun. If you have the genetics, you are more at risk for developing it especially with a positive Anti-dna. It is way more specific than the ANA test. That one can be false positive more often. I am not saying that for sure you will develop it, but you are at a higher risk. Hope this helps,

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread