It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 05:59 AM   #1

football_mom HB User
Unhappy HELP! I am having alot of joint pain

Hello all again! For the past week I have been experiencing a lot of joint pain. Ankles, knees, hip, etc. It is hurting me so bad to walk. I've tried everything otc and nothing has worked. What should I do? My neuro will not be back in the office until Monday. Should I call my gp or what? I just feel like crying.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hey ya football_mom!

Have you tried Advil liqui-gels? Those are the only over the counter thing that helps with my joint pain. When is your pain the worst? I would call your GP and get in to see him. Maybe he can put you on a stronger NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory) like Vioxx or Celebrex. The Vioxx won't mask your tests so that might be the best option. Every drug works different for every person. The only thing that took the edge off of my joint pain was the Advil liquid ones. They are amazing! Take care

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #3

football_mom HB User
thanks, I'll try that

Old 10-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Hi football_mom ,

I have just been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome and have very bad joint and muscle pain and swelling. I am only 34 and all of this started after I lost my first child in March 2001.

Most mornings I ache so bad and my hands and feet and ankles are so swollen and red that it hurts to even move. The Rheumatologist that just diagnosed me started me on Plaquenil but it is a very slow acting drug and so I'm going to have to wait and wait for the benefits of it. Meanwhile, for me, none of the over-the-counter NSAIDS work. I also have a herniated disk and have been through 6 spinal blocks and many cortisone shots and the Orthopedic Surgeon said surgery was the next option and I said "NO" and he said then I have to release you, so I searched and found a wonderful Primary Care Doctor who has taken care of me as far as pain medicine and he has made me an appt. with a Pain Management Center.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you my problems. I just wanted to convey to you that the over-the-counter medicines don't work for everyone unfortunately. And unfortunately too, no two people with Lupus, MS or Sjogren's have the same problems so it's very hard to say what works for me will work for you. Hopefully you have a doctor that is compassionate and will listen to you when you tell him/her that you are in pain and will give you what you need if you find that none of the medicines you buy in the stores work.

Take care
Melissa

Old 10-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi again,

When I said that over the counter meds do work a bit in some people, I just meant that maybe you could try them until you see the Neuro on Monday.

luvmypugs- How did he diagnose you with Sjogrens? With a blood test or with the Shirmers blot (small paper put in eye to measure eye moisture). I have Sjogrens, Lupus and APS (clotting problem). I am not fully convinced that Sjogrens is responsible for all of your symptoms though. I have re-read through your posts and all of that, and I think that you may still have Rheumatoid Arthritis (because of the spinal problems). Now, I do know what symptoms Sjogrens can cause, and joint pain is definitely one of them. I do agree that you probably have Sjogrens.. but I still think that they may be missing something? I don't know.. I am not there and haven't "seen" you but still. The Plaquenil can take up to three months to even start working- perhaps you can get on Prednisone in the interm to calm the immune system down. I had ZERO joint pain when I was on the prednisone. It was a miracle!! Even as little as 10mg a day can help ease the joint pain. Worth trying thats for sure!

Footballmom-
I am not against narcotic medications, I am on oxycontin and oxycodene due to my extreme abdominal pain. It has given me my life back. So those are options, I just felt that perhaps you wanted to wait till Monday when you see your neurologist. If you are really really sore get back to your GP ASAP or call to see if he can give you something for the weekend. I really hope that your Neurologist clues in with your positive test results what is going on here! The joint pain can be from the Lupus AND the APS if that is what you have. Please take care, and hope to hear again from you soon

~Angelic

Old 10-24-2003, 04:24 PM   #6

football_mom HB User
Thanks Angelic! I couldn't get in to my gp today so I went and bought some Advil liquid gels. I just took some about 30 minutes ago so hopefully these will get me through the week-end. We'll have to wait and see. That is the only otc med. I haven't tried. Hopefully the neuro will let me know something Monday. I'll keep you posted!

Old 10-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #7

football_mom HB User
Luvmypugs,
I am so sorry to hear about all of your problems and your loss. Usually no otc meds work for me either but I am going to take Angelic's advice and try these Advil liqui-gel pills. I've never tried those before so I'm giving it a shot. Anything to be able to walk without pain. I hope your meds begin to work for you! May many pain free days be with you.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:31 AM   #8
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Angelic - My Sjogren's was diagnosed with blood tests. The Rheumatologist asked if I wanted to go and have the lip biopsy done just to give me 100% peace of mind that this was my diagnosis but he assured me that by my bloodwork it was Sjogren's and he really didn't want me to have to endure any furthur unnecessary procedures so I opted not to have it done. I've been through enough in the last few years so the less surgical anything I can get by with is great .

I know what you mean about the Plaquenil being very slow acting. The doctor told me about this and that was sort of disheartening but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end. I have only taken 4 doses so far of this medicine and I don't know if it is coincidence or if it is the drug but every evening I've been sick to my stomach, I'm not sleeping at night, and just a general kind of strange feeling. But, if it is so slow acting, couldn't it still make me have these feelings this fast? I guess I think "okay, 3 months to see any benefits, yet I get sick to my stomach about 3 hours after I take the pill and haven't slept all night since I started it".....?????

As far as the pain goes, I am going to a Pain Management Center on November 4th. I was going in October but had to cancel because it was on the same day the Rheumatologist called and said they could work me in and I wasn't going to pass that appt. up. So, I'm hoping for good results from them and the Rheumatologist said that was fine with him just to give them his name so they could send him any records he may need in the future. Right now, I pretty much live on Lortab and Aleve. I had bloodwork done for my liver function because of the lortab because I had been taking it for a while and it was fine.

I wish none of us had to deal with this stuff. I have to say when I was graduating from high school and college, I never dreamed when I was 34 that I would feel like I was 70. I didn't even feel like this 3 years ago. My husband keeps telling me that we'll get it all straightened out and I'll get back to myself....I sure hope so!!!

Take care
Melissa

Old 10-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #9

sarahbean HB User
dear footballmom or angelicbrat,

please help me. i have posted a question, it is under sarahbean. in reading all of the post i have found your names in alot of them. would you please be kind enough to answer my questions. i am 30 yrs old with 3 little kids, i am very nervous!!!! please help me!!!

Old 10-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello luvmypugs and sarahbean!

luvmypugs- It is such a pain to have to go through the procedures isn't it! I hate them all LOL As for the Plaquenil- UGH it does take forever, can be up to 3 months YECK!

sarahbean- I responded to your post. Good luck tomorrow!

~Angelic

Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #11

sarahbean HB User
dear angelic,

thank you so much for resp. to my mess. they are biops.these lumps i have in my left arm. they have not tested me for lupus (blood). i have been tested for countless other things over the course of the past two months. all things come back fine. when i type in my symptoms i get alot of lupus hits, that is how i found myself here. if it is lupus and i am in an active outbreak (?), will the biopsy hurt my immune system more. just wondering...
sarah

Closed Thread