It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Question Quick question about ANA level

I am a little confused. Could someone please tell me what a normal range for an ANA is and what is it for lupus? I thought the higher the number, the worse it is, could someone please clarify? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hey girl!

The cutoff for a "normal" ANA is 1:40. Anything above that is considered positive. I believe that a 1:40 is a mild positive You are right that the higher the number the worse the flare is. It's ironic though, some people will have a lower ANA when they are flaring and it will fly up when they feel well! That is one of the great things that makes Lupus so crazy. Hope this helps, and that you are feeling well!

~Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 02:49 AM   #3
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
Talking

Dana,
When I saw there was one reply to my message, I said to myself it was probably you who responded. Thanks, I always knew I could count on you to come through! Shari

Old 11-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
ceedricc

What is an ANA test? Is it a white blood cell count? Or what is it?

Someone please explain.

Also, I've had numerous blood tests done, but could this be Lupus?

- Constant Fatigure
- Rapid Heart Beat
- Off/on mild temperature
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Dry Throat

I had mono awhile back, but I'm not sure.... and I hope I jus don't have Lupus.

A few weeks ago, I developed what I believe was Strep Throat with a rash that started on my chest and spread down and up on parts of my face, as well as a headache, but I went to 2 doctors and both were not sure, blood tests were taken as well as throat swab. They put me on Pen VK, and it seemed to clear the rash up and the fever and sore throat EVENTUALLY over a period of days, but when the doctor phoned me back he said it mainly pointed to viral and that all my blood work was fine, although I am not all sure what he tested for, I was also tested for Rheubella, but that came up negative and mono came up negative again.

Anyway, that illness is cleared up, but I still feel tired all the time, and what bothers me the most is my rapid heart beat, I don't know if its stress or whatever, but I've been to a cardiologist awhile back, used to run a lot, play sports, etc.. I am an active person. Now, it seems as if I am losing weight. I believe I was about 125-130 pounds about two-three weeks ago, and now I am only 120 pounds, although I am not too sure as to weather my scale is accuarte. I am only 17.

Any ideas??? Thanks for reading

Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 AM   #5

neelie6 HB User
I just saw my rheumy last week. My GP sent me to him because my ANA was 1:1280. In the past, it has been 1:80 and 1:320, but I have never had any other bloodwork come back abnormal. My rheumy, who is highly regarded in my area, says that the ANA test by itself really means nothing. He says that once someone is diagnosed with Lupus, he never checks the ANA level again, because it is not helpful as an indicator of anything, and that it really doesn't matter if it is 1:80 or 1:1280. Because I do have some other symptoms (occasional joint pain, frequent tingling in extremities, occasional numbness), he is sending me again for the anti-DNA and other tests for Lupus, but he really doesn't think they will come back abnormal.

What I'm trying to say here is that he feels the ANA test by itself isn't anything to get excited about, although he did say that he rarely sees a patient with Lupus who doesn't have a positive ANA.

Good luck to all,
Neelie

Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hi neelie!

I don't believe that what your GP said is true. The only times an ANA will be "
false positive" is in someone that has NO symptoms at all. It can be false positive in some people with no symptoms. With yours however, you have a VERY elevated ANA!! That can't be false positive with the symptoms you have. I think that you need to see a Rheumatologist to rule it out completely or to get diagnosed correctly. It could be that you are starting to show symptoms and blood work of an autoimmune disease. Things can get worse, but I am concerned with an ANA of 1:1280!! Did he test you for the Anti-dna, Anti-Ro, Anti-ssa etc. With the numbness and tinging, that can be either CNS Lupus or it even could be something called Antiphospholipid Syndrome, also known as sticky blood. You should see if you can get your anticardiolipin and Lupus anticoagulant tested too. I really don't believe that your blood work is false positive and I cringe when GP's write it off as false when you have symptoms. Have you checked the symptoms for Lupus? Please check them and see if you fit in. The criteria doesn't just go with symptoms NOW, it goes with symptoms and problems you have had over the years (Ex/ recurrent pnemonia, kidney infections etc). Take care, and if you have anymore questions please ask

ceedricc- It does sound like you have symptoms of Lupus. You need to be tested to see if that is what is really going on with you. Lots of people with Lupus (me included) have had positive mono tests in the past, lots of researchers are looking in to the fact that it could be a precursor for Lupus! Please see if your doctor can check your ANA level, your urine for certain abnormailities, your anti-dna in your blood and all other Lupus related tests. Sometimes we have "odd" things positive in blood work too. If he/she checks your C3 and C4 sometimes that can be decreased if you have Lupus. I am sure that he/she knows that Take care kiddo!!

~Angelic

Old 11-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh SHOOT,

I just re-read your post again neelie!! You said that you did see a Rheumy. Sometimes we see ones that aren't that great, even if they are highly recommended by others. I have full blown Lupus, and I saw one that told me my swollen feet were because I needed orthopedic foot supports, and that I "looked too healthy to have Lupus". So there are many out there that are not good, trust me on that. Is he going to watch you over a period of time? Sometimes like I said, the ANA can be positive in the beginnings of autoimmune disease. Please be careful and watch your body for signs. do you get tired easy? Rashes?

I really need to read posts better before I respond I am really glad that he is going to test you further too. Please let us know what you find out okay? Take care and sorry I am such a bubble head today. It is Monday!!! LOL

~Angelic

Old 11-04-2003, 06:37 AM   #8

neelie6 HB User
Angelic,

Yes, I did see the rheumy, who is sending me for the anti-DNA, anti-Ro, and a few other blood tests. I am going to try to go and get the blood drawn today. I don't feel that he is blowing this off, but he is just not concerned with the level of positivity of the ANA, he says it really doesn't make that much difference. He is watching me over time, in fact, this is the second time I have seen him and gone through these blood tests. My symptoms were actually worse two years ago then they are now, which is strange.

I don't have rashes, and don't really notice that I get tired easily, but that is a hard thing to judge, you know? I know that there is something going on with me, but I am really tired of going to doctors, only to be told that they can't diagnose anything.

I'll let you know how the bloodwork comes out.

Neelie

Closed Thread