It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 06:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question DERMATOLOGIST APPT

Hi everyone,

My mom and I are going to the dermatologist for a
followup on the rash she had.
To update you guys, she is in a flare, and
she noticed this hard red bumpy rash on her right elbow, so her rheumy suggested we get a biopsy from a
dermatologist, so we did that 2 weeks ago and we
are going on wednesday, to see what she says.
So far we know it is Granuloma Annulare,?
anyone with suggestions on questions to ask her?

Old 10-27-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hey there,

I would probably just see what the Dermatologist wants to do.. perhaps she/he will re-biopsy or something like that. Take care and make sure to tell us how it goes!

~Angelic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
It is so wierd the granuloma thing, I wonder if it is
from lupus, immune system, or from the arthritis??

Old 10-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User
Hey

Nah its not from any of the above things. It can occur as its own process. It doesn't require treatment usually, although sometimes they will prescribe steroid cream for it. It is its own disorder- I dont think its related to any autoimmune diseases. You can ask the dermatologist if you like. Talk to you soon!

~Angelic

Old 10-27-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Question

Yes, I am curious to find out because it is kinda ironic that she got this at the same time she is in a flareup.
And it is an inflammatory skin disorder. Very strange.
We will ask her this question definitely. I think it can
be related to the inflammatory process that is going on n\with her rheumatoid factor which is high and her ana being high also.

Old 10-30-2003, 06:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Hi Guys,

well, we went to the dermatologist last night and she wentover the skin rash biopsy with us which confirmed her
diagnosis of the granuloma annulare. She says that she sees this skin disorder with people who have rheumatoid arthris and other arthritic conditions, it usually develops on or around a joint (my mother has them on the underside of her elbow area, they are round (kinda look like psoriasis) and dry flaky looking. So she removed the sutures and gave her a perscription for a strong cortisone cream. She also referred her to another rheumy who she believes to be very good, and it might take a while to get in to see him so I guess we will be going for another opinion, I cant see why her current rheumy is just ignoring these skin problems/high ra factors/high ana, flare up ?????

Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Angelic just wondering what your
input to this would be ?

Old 10-30-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey ya!

I didn't see this one.. sorry bout that!

I am pleased that the Dermatologist is going to treat the rash with a cortisone based cream. I am also glad that your mom will be referred to a different Rheumatologist. Since she has so much going on it is important to have a good Rheumatologist in control of her! Looks like I was wrong about the rash, the way I have heard is that it is on its own, but i am glad that she is getting it treated.

I have no idea why her current Rheumy is ignoring all of this. Sometimes they just get too busy or there is too much going on and they don't want to take responsibility! Isn't that awful?? I have had many of them that have tried to write me off as "We may never know what is wrong with you" when it was Lupus. So I think that if we are sick, and have lots of things going on some of them don't want to take the time to look after us. It is so sad Anyway, I am really happy that a new Rheumy is in the works. Your mom will hopefully be in capable hands and be on the road to recovery soon Take care and give your mom a hug from me!

~Dana

Old 10-31-2003, 07:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

PINKYPRISCILLA HB User
Talking

Thanks Dana for your encouraging words, beleive
me she needs them right now, she is so worried and
is crying every day. I feel so bad, she says
she is getting worse and that she feels better when
she sees me. She is a widow so she gets lonely. I get
the guilt trips but I do try my best to see her as often
as possible, and take her out to dinner.

Are mood swings a part of lupus too? she can get vicious.

Old 10-31-2003, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Deb,

YES Mood swings can be a huge part of Lupus. Is she on Prednisone? Prednisone (steriod) can cause mood swings, that is a very common side effect. Another thing that can go with Lupus during a flare is CNS problems, meaning probs with the brain etc. That can cause mood swings too! I hope that she feels better soon, and all you can do is be encouraging right now. She is so lucky to have you. I am sorry to hear about your dad.

~Angelic

Closed Thread