It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

flahers HB User
Skin changes

Never had any problems in the sun up to now. I have not been feeling well lately. Had an MRI and bloods, all clear and have mentioned Lupus to doctor, he said tests didn't suggest it but I thought you had to have a very specific blood test for Lupus.

Weather has been roasting in Ireland for past week and after ten mins in sun my neck was on fire, even when using very good sunscreen, also instead of tanning my arms are blotchy and red and I have a slight headache in the evenings after being outside.

Do you think I should look for another opinion. Going to Barcelona next week and dont know what to do

Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Skin changes

Flahers, hi. There isn't a single blood test that proves or disproves lupus. To be Dx'ed with systemic lupus (SLE), you generally have to meet 4 or more of 11 diagnostic criteria. For these, see the "sticky posts" ( = permanent informational posts) at the top of the thread list. By the way, the criteria don't have to be met all at once: you may meet them over time.

Plus, there are lesser forms, sometimes called "subsets", for which you may meet less than 4 criteria. Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is considered the mildest (although it may have huge cosmetic impact). Subacute cutenaous lupus erythematosus (SCLE) is viewed as usually intermediate; but in it, the full range of problems seen in SLE is actually possible but less likely. And in drug-induced lupus (DILE), symptoms typically recede when the offending drug(s) is/are discontinued.

Sun also bothers many people who don't have lupus, I think. While on holiday, you could wear sunblock, hat with wide brim, long sleeves & trousers, etc. Or carry a sun parasol. I hope you can fully enjoy your holiday---have fun! Best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Skin changes

Flahers, I have the same problem with sun, I get a severe headache when out in the sun. I don't have diagnosed lupus, the rheumy calls it almost lupus. He officially writes on my paperwork CTD and in his remarks in the computer he writes positive ANA. I have learned quite a bit from Veej and others on this board and they have convinced me to always wear a hat when in the sun. This year has been especially bad for me and although I am not crazy about hats and look awful in them, I wear and take my hat with me anytime I am going outdoors.

Hi there Veej, how are you doing. I haven't been on the boards for a while, so many things going on. Some good, some not as good and some great. You know that is how life goes. Been getting a handle on this inflammation thing, been fighting thyroid problems. I'm seeing an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid problems so things are looking up. I am very close to getting things under control.....giggle....if that is possible.

Glojer

Closed Thread