It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

Postie HB User
RNP antibody

Can anyone explain what this means.

RNP AB is 9. Reference range is 0-49.
Less than 20 shows none detected.

I don't understand this. If there's none detected, how does a 9 show up? Does this mean I don't have RNP antibody?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
(female)

Angel MJ HB User
Re: RNP antibody

postie ... it is so hard not to worry about the unnecessary but in this case i do not think you need to worry - the level is low enough not to be a concern.
remember that these anti bodies are a naturally occuring part of our bodies - only when the levels are high / un natural do we 'have to worry' as the complications then come!
i have lent my dr wallace book out so i cannot help on 'what they are' but hang tight & hopefully someone insightful reads & responds!
A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

Postie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel MJ View Post
postie ... it is so hard not to worry about the unnecessary but in this case i do not think you need to worry - the level is low enough not to be a concern.
remember that these anti bodies are a naturally occuring part of our bodies - only when the levels are high / un natural do we 'have to worry' as the complications then come!
i have lent my dr wallace book out so i cannot help on 'what they are' but hang tight & hopefully someone insightful reads & responds!
A
Hi:

Thanks for sending me this helpful info. So basically, then it is negative for RNP antibodies, so that at least rules out MCTD? I am so thankful for that as I don't want MCTD. I had read before that for MCTD it shows high RNP antibodies.

Actually, I just bought the book by Dr. Wallace.

Thanks again!!

CindyLou

Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

Postie HB User

Angel MJ:

Just found this in Dr. Wallace's book.

Anti-RNP in high levels suggests that the patient may have mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD), and at low levels supports the diagnosis of SLE.

So would that be to confirm the low number I have for the RNP--since it's not high?

CindyLou

Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

Postie HB User

Hi Angel MJ:

Do you happen to know what this means?

The Rheumy that I had before this one wrote on my medical records that it says rheumatoid factor borderline positive 1/20? What does this mean or what is it?

CindyLou

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

hi cindy - these things get very confusing at times! sometimes too little knowledge can be just as 'dangerous' as too much.
i am hoping someone can pick up on this thread and offer a better explanantion ... can you discuss this with your doctor?

Closed Thread