HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lupus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/)
-   -   low neutrophils and white count (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/698370-low-neutrophils-white-count.html)

Postie 06-14-2009 11:18 AM

low neutrophils and white count

After having a severe cold for 2 weeks, I am finally done with all the coughing. But does anyone know when you start feeling better when you have the low neutrophils and low white count? I just feel so tired.

CindyLou

Angel MJ 06-15-2009 01:23 AM

Re: low neutrophils and white count

Cindy Lou ... sorry i cannot answer your question but do have a ***big hug*** for you!

justnotfair 06-21-2009 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=Postie;4012137]After having a severe cold for 2 weeks, I am finally done with all the coughing. But does anyone know when you start feeling better when you have the low neutrophils and low white count? I just feel so tired.

CindyLou[/QUOTE]

I actually had the very same problem a few years ago but Rhuemy did not DX with lupus. I searched high and low to get more details involving low neutrophils and low white blood count but never came up with anything.

In my instance, I had that "cold" for a month and it was a slow recovery regarding the fatigue.

I got so frustrated trying to find the truth...I just let it go. It still sits in the back of my mind. I am especially concern as my Aunt (who passed) also dealt with lupus.

VeeJ 06-22-2009 04:49 AM

Justnotfair & Postie, forgive me if I've asked this before... but did your drs. look for autoantibodies directed against neutrophils? I *think* that's the one abbreviated "ANCA". And I *think* that one is seen in lupus occasionally & not considered at "specific"---BUT it is seen more often in other disorders...? (Vasculitis is one of the many others, I think.)

I included question marks & "I thinks" in above, because I can read a sentence in a lupus hardcover and then TOTALLY MISCONSTRUE it! Meaning, only a doctor could speak intelligibly on this. Has to be frustrating for both of you! Hugs, V.

justnotfair 06-22-2009 08:01 AM

Thanks VeeJ for your input. I actually searched that information out a bit and the Lupus Foundation site goes a bit more into detail regarding how lupus can trigger vasculitis (and of course, it can appear on its on).

Further searches led me to some sites that discuss low WBC and low neutrophils can be an identifying trigger of active lupus. Based on how I felt and what OP described, it would make sense. Leukopenia (a decrease in the number of white blood cells-leukocytes) and neutropenia (abnormally low number of a type of white blood cell called a neutrophil) are also seen within lupus. In neutropenia, the blood has primarily red blood cells and platelets. In my test, my RBC was actually a bit too high.

OP, I hope you will begin feeling better soon. More than anything, keep your stress low, eat healthy, and even if you can't exercise, just try to walk to keep yourself active.