It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

Postie HB User
skin color change

This is very odd and it has never happened before.

In a lupus patient, if you're outside in the sun and get tanned can part of that skin turn purple? I have no idea what this is. On Memorial weekend we were outside at a picnic. But I got tanned, and the weird part is it all turned out normal. The weird part is on both kneecaps and the area right above it, why did it turn purple and it still is the same way. If I press my finger on it, it looks a very bad sunburn that just happened but it didn't just happened and I never got burnt. Why would it be purple and why is it purple? It's like it just stayed there.

CindyLou

Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
(female)

Angel MJ HB User
Re: skin color change

Hi Cindy Lou ... the uniquness of it all.
Have you taken a photo of your kneecaps? help when you next go to the doctor. Also would seeing your dermatologist be helpfull at all?

my hubby has SCLE and he has various phases of colour ... his rashes go purple after too much exposure, so he goes red then purple then gets 'rough' then back to red (not as fast as that, there are times when his cheeks are 'inflammed' for weeks) but we are all unique and that is just what i see on him.

Last edited by Angel MJ; 06-16-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

Postie HB User

Hi Angel:

I just called my rheumy so he's going to call me back. The person I talked to on the phone asked me exactly where it's purple and does it hurt? I told her no. She asked if I had layed in the sun and I told her no.

How long does your husband's purple color stay for if he's been in the sun? Mine has stayed since Memorial weekend. One of the questions I asked my rheumy was does the purple go away or did I do something to the skin?

CindyLou

Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

Hi Cindy Lou
hubby only gets rashes on his cheeks & scalp ... lucky for him he responds well to cortisone cream so if he treats his cheeks, it usually goes 'red' within a week (with treatment!)
with sunscreen & cortoisone cream the colours fade and the rashes are light (on his fair skin it is like suntanned patches) and some what rough but then he has no skin care/moisturiser routine to speak of ...

without treatment or suncreen & continued exposure the colour deepens and gets rougher/scaly.

bear in mind not everyone responds to cortisone cream.

i really hope your patches are just patches and fade ... remember to take some photos!
do you get other rashes? or is this the *first*?

Please keep us posted ...
A

Last edited by Angel MJ; 06-16-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

Postie HB User

Hi Angel:

I have a permanent red rash on my cheeks and nose and neck. That never goes away but that's a normal red rash color. This is something else on my knees.

I'm waiting for the rheumy to call back. They had asked me if it hurt--no. Where exactly was it and was I laying out in the sun--no.

CindyLou

Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

Angel MJ HB User

Hi Cindy Lou ... sorry couldn't be helpful! so again back to the waiting then?
Good luck and let us know what happens!
Ang

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
(female)

Postie HB User

My rheumy said the purple doesn't go with lupus. He said that would be red and inflamed. So he said go to my primary or a dermatologist would know.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Postie, an acquaintance of mine was evaluated for dermatomyositis, an autoimmune that can cause purplish discoloration on vrs. parts of body (face, upper chest, & a variety of joints). I *think* the discoloration favors sun-exposed areas. And that is the sum total of what I "know". Note I put that in quotes because I'm only a dumb patient! I hope your dermie or primary provides *professional* answers soon. Let us know, OK? Warm wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 06-17-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread