It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

Angel MJ HB User
Comments please: Foods That Trigger Lupus Flares

Hi all ... i am always researching everything to do with lupus and here is something that was sent to me by someone claiming to be able to *cure lupus*. if you read this please give me your comments, opinions, experiences.

Quote:
Avoid Foods That Make You Feel Worse!

Lupus and allergies
People with Lupus often find they have an allergy to an amino acid called L-canavanine, which is found in all legumes.

If foods such as green peas, chick peas or alfalfa make you feel nauseous or dizzy then no, you’re not crazy. You’re likely sensitive to that food group so you may want to avoid it.

Because alfalfa is also contained in many food products do be careful about checking ingredients when purchasing your food.

Even beef may be alfalfa fed and can cause a reaction, so do your due diligence when shopping and ask about ingredients if you are unsure.

Other common food culprits

Other foods that lupus patients should avoid are peanuts, soybeans and lentils.

There is also evidence that suggests corn, spinach and carrots can cause a food reaction for some so keep an eye out when you eat these foods. ... find out what triggers you.

Sulfur foods

Sulfur-containing veggies are also difficult for many lupus sufferers to digest without upset. These include cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale and cauliflower. Because we know that many people with lupus are sensitive to sulfa drugs, it seems reasonable to be wary of these particular foods as well.

Because some foods trigger some people and not others it is very important to know what your body is telling you is ok for you.
End quote

interestingly i found that pigs are often feed on L-canavanine - of course i LOVE bacon but will think twice now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

heidiclouser HB User
Re: Comments please: Foods That Trigger Lupus Flares

Mt doc told me to stay away from alfalfa. Ihaven't tried it to see if it bothers me and I haven't found any other foods that bother me. I am sulfa sensitive so now have an excuse for not liking brocolli.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

Angel MJ HB User
Smile Re: Comments please: Foods That Trigger Lupus Flares

thanks for your response H! LOL
also had another insightful response i'd like to share ... here goes

In "The Lupus Book" by Dr Daniel Wallace (referred to internationally as "the lupus bible"), used by both medical professionals & patients...

Dr Wallace states that many lupus patients find they have an allergy to an amino acid called L-canavanine, which is found in all legumes. This is medically proven research and fact.
end quote

i add
i am in total agreement that all things are individual and should be monitored by the individaul and their doctor. probably what sounded like simple advice from one of my docs really is great advice *if it makes you feel bad then don't eat it*

maybe buying local products that you can get information like 'what feed they use'. i am learning so much about food and got almost nothing left on my list that i *can* eat, between allergies, suspected gerd, ibs or something. i personally love all veg and naturally drawn to the ones proven to be bad for me LOL

Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
(female)

suki3 HB User

wow thank you for this thread everyone! I know that I am allergic to sulfa drugs but I never considered it to be in foods. This info might be very helpful to me and others as well. Especially those of us who are relatively newly diagnosed.

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User

I'm allergic to sulfa drugs but never reacted to legumes, etc.

I have lupus flares from chocolate. Talk about a huge bummer!

Closed Thread