It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

crow1376 HB User
Ana titer speckled 1:1280 having an anxiety attack!

Looking for help, support, info?

I had surgery resulting in a staph infection last Nov/Dec. Soon afterwards began having tingling, numbness in both hands and feet, and other infections. Surgeons started to question whether or not I had diabetes... so I started on the rounds of tests and here I am 7 months later and just a little stressed out!

Diabetes: negative
Lymes: negative
RA: negative
Thyroid ultrasound: negative
EMG: minor findings in legs and feet
ANA: 1:1280
dsDNA: negative
Running fever (99.5-101+) constantly for several weeks
Lost 10+ pounds in the last 6 weeks or so.
Very tired all the time, but not sleepy.

Now I am having more significant pain in fingers, base of thumb and wrists.

I am going to see a rheumatologist next month, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts about what this could be. GP say a negative dsDNA means I don't have Lupus, and that the ANA could be a false positive? Is this considered a high number? I feel like I'm going a little crazy as the pain comes and goes sporadically and now I feel like a hypochondriac watching for any little symptom of something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Re: Ana titer speckled 1:1280 having an anxiety attack!

Hi I had almost your exact situation.I've had ana tested 3 times. Higher than yours (which yours is high btw. I've gone to 2 Rheumatologists....both said Fibromyalgia which is a hard pill to swallow for me because there is no real test for it.
Do you have a low white count? I am fatigued, legs feel like they have been poured full of concrete and hurt so bad..it's all very frustrating.
Good luck. Will you let me know what your final diagnosis is.
Thank-you
Sophie 56

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

crow1376 HB User

Can your really just run fevers with fibromyalgia? My white count was normal a few months ago, but that was before everything else started happening. Today I woke up with some wierd rash on my back... I'm just beyond confused. Haven't gone to the GP about the fever, weight loss, etc. because I don't feel like they are going to be able to do anything else. Just trying to hang in there until I see the rheumotoligist!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Crow, hi & welcome. I hope you get to the rheumie while you still have that "weird rash" on your back. There are various lupus-specific rashes BEYOND the best-known ones, which are the facial malar (aka butterfly) and discoid (the scarring &/or depigmenting kind). But even a dermatologist can't tell what a rash is just by looking at it. When lupus is a possibility, dermie can do a skin biopsy with immunofluorescent stain tests, to see if the rash is lupus-specific.

ANA is positive in a variety of conditions, not just lupus. And it can also be positive due to a passing virus, aging, etc. So your GP makes sense when he says elevated ANA doesn't prove lupus.

There are many autoantibodies seen in lupus, not just anti-ds-DNA, so your GP makes sense there, too. In his lupus hardcover, Dr. Daniel Wallace charts at least 16 autoantibodies, complement levels, etc. seen in lupus. In terms of how "lupus-specific" they, he rates each: excellent, good, fair or poor. Libraries & larger bookstores stock this book.

BTW, Dr. Wallace does write that he considers 1:1280 a significant ANA titer. BUT, as your GP said, it doesn't automatically equate to lupus. It must be viewed in context of the standard ACR criteria for diagnosing SLE. You may find the criteria right here on a "sticky post" (permanent info post) at the top of the thread list.

Signs your rheumie is approaching things well include: taking your lifelong medical history; reviewing recent labs & maybe calling for new ones to be done in a lab of his choice (the tests are hard to perform, so most rheumies use specialty lab); and referring you to a hand-picked dermie for a skin biopsy, if your rash looks "promising".

I hope something here helps. Let us know how you're doing, OK? Best wishes, Vee

P.S. I had a low-odds rash, neither scarring nor nondepigmenting, on my back & upper arms (finally Dx'ed as "subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus annular form", abbreviated SCLE); also low-odds blood results (negative ANA but positive anti-Ro). I had a terrible time getting answers.

Last edited by VeeJ; 07-25-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

crow1376 HB User

Thank you for responding! I have done some research and agree with the GP that really we're not at a stage where we can pinpoint a diagnosis. I am just getting anxious as the symptoms of whatever this is seem to be getting "stronger" and more consistent. I have had some fairly significant health issues in the past, and am afraid this is another tough path. I was hoping that whatever was going on would of course settle down and just go away... like most people probably, thought a state of denial would cure the problem. It just doesn't seem to be working out that way. I keep reading about it taking years for people to get diagnosed and that scares me. Hopefully the right path is the Rheumy. He came well recommended from the GP and someone else I know that has RA, so I have my fingers crossed as I'm sure finding the right doctor is probably one of the bigger hurdles to finding out what is going on.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Crow, I made a huge mistake in not leaving my local drs. sooner. I had my rash biopsied within a few months after it became prominent. I'd had little mosquito-bite size red welts on & off for years. Then those same welts started expanding into larger, targetlike rings. I went straight to a dermie. Next rash, another dermie. Then another, ETC. Three years of this, I was exhausted by my symptoms (not rash---it was only weird looking). Then I found out my new GP suspected lupus---and STILL I hung in with new local rheumie & yet another new dermie. DUMB ME!

I was dubious when I saw the facial expressions of my final local dermie & rheumie. When they looked at my rash, their eyes widened in surprise. A few visits in, their expressions were derisive when I asked things like, "Are you SURE it's not lupus? And, "If not lupus, then what is it?" "Can just Fibro cause fevers? Rashes? Swollen joints?"

Then I took myself to a teaching hospital rheumie in a large metro area. His eyes NARROWED when he read my long medical history & when he eyeballed the rash. No eyerolling, no sarcastic expression. I knew 10 seconds in that I was in better hands. I wrote this hoping YOU'LL get answers faster than a lot of us did. We all have our own ways of "reading" doctors. I was so DUMB to ignore my own instincts, so listen to yours, OK? And keep us posted, OK? All my best wishes, Vee

Old 07-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Crow, if you can take a photo of the rash to take to the Rheumatologist, it may be helpful in diagnosing. I don't know how long you may have to wait to see, so it may fade before the appointment. Better to have evidence, I say. I have lupus and fibro but no history of rash other than a reddening on my nose that comes and goes. Not typical butterfly rash described on lupus websites, but I do have occasional boil like lesions on upper trunk and scalp. Only 5 over a number of years, but they are seen sometimes in lupus. Mine are evidenced by scarring.

In the area of the ANA, mine was high and speckled as yours but not to the extreme of your number. The Rheumatologist did a vast array of tests that included some immune studies of which I was positive for IGG and IGM which was indicative of lupus, although I am not the typical lupus case. I am glad though as I am doing better overall on the lupus treatment than I was on the fibro treatment. I would try not to worry too much at this time. I think you will be relieved once you are under the care of a Rheumatologist.

Closed Thread